`01 Outback Wagon 90k service

Hey all,

My 2001 Outback Limited Edition Wagon is due up for it's 90,000 mile service sometime early-mid summer. Currently I just passed 82,000 mile mark and I am curious as to what all of the routine services are for the 90,000 service as well as a general price range for the service.

Also I will probably be putting newer tires on my Outback as well come early summer. I live in the Allegheny/Blue Ridge mountain areas of WV where it's around 100*F in the summer and 20*F in the winter with on average around 50" of snow a year here. Also I do venture further into the mountains to ski resorts so climbing 2 lane mountain roads is a requirement to get to those places. What tire would everyone recommend?

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Someone may correct me here, but I think you may be due for a timing belt, which ain't cheap.

I'm now driving on Michelin studless winter tires (came on the car I just bought), but I still like the Blizzaks better. Don't handle as well on dry pavement, but the Blzzaks are great in snow and ice. I posed the same question here awhile back as to whether I could throw a tire on that would work all year round, and people seem to like that new Goodyear TripleTred.

The problem with the Subaru is that it will "go" even with bald tires. It's stopping and turning you have to worry about. The Blizzak, with it's blocky, soft tread works great on ice and snow, but handles a bit mushy. The Michelins don't stop as well, IMHO, and don't go around slippery corners as well, but are more secure around corners on dry or wet pavement. If I go with a winter tire I have to change over to a summer tire when the weather warms, but I live at a ski resort so it snows here right through April.

Reply to
Sheldon

Well, it's close enough to the 105k mile point where the timing belt needs replacement. Along with the belt, the water pump and front oil seal should be replaced. A few other seals like the cam seals should at least be inspected closely.

Being an 01 model it was a time where there were head gasket issues. I would at the very least have the area around the head inspected VERY closely. If your car is destined for a HG replacement, 125k miles is a typical failure point I was told by a mechanic. A good portion of the labor involved in the timing belt/water pump replacement is needed for the head gasket as well. Not a lot of sense throwing away several hundred $$ in labor that would have to be repeated in possibly 20-30k miles.

Est price = $500 for the timing belt/water-pump/seal. $2k for the HG repair. Engine should be pulled for HG repair and I would insist all the engine seals be replaced while the engine is out and partially disassembled.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

I discussed all of this with my service representative at the Subaru Dealership earlier today when I was getting a standard oil change. Basically the dealership offers a 90,000 mile 'max service package' for $739.00 and 'minimum service package' which goes for $568.00. Both of the

90,000 mile service packages include the following:

- Change Engine Oil & Filter

- Install Oil Additive

- Perform Multi-point Inspection

- Inspect Brake System

- Inspect Cooling System

- Rotate Tires and set Tire Pressure

- Inspect Exhaust System

- Transmission total fluid flush

- Replace fuel filter

- Lubricate all hinges and latches, door locks and door weatherstrips if needed

- Complete Coolant Flush

- Replace Air Filter

- Install Spark Plugs

- Front End Alignment

*MAX SERVICE PACKAGE ALSO INCLUDES*

- Fuel Induction/Injector Service

- Inspect Dist. cap, wires and rotor

- Inspect Drivebelt

- Replace PCV Valve

The service rep did recommend getting the timing belt replaced at the same time which would run about an additional $200 for parts/labor. Also I do have slightly leaving CV Boots on the wheel/axle area. I was quoted around $250 for those.

I don't mind paying for standard maintanence like the above if it's truely within a reasonable price range. What is everyone's thoughts here regarding this? REMEMBER don't start jumping in and trolling about used cars or the lack of "do-it-yourself" attitude I'm showing. Currently my business requires most all of my time devoted to it so I severely lack alot of personal time to do filter replacements on my own and such.

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker