01OBW Head Gasket Replaced 99k Miles

I just had my drivers side headgasket replaced today on my `01 OBW wagon. Two weeks ago I thought I noticed a coolant smell under the wheel area after driving and then coming to a park. This really seemed to come and go with little consistency so I figured it might have been a hose leak or possible radiator leak rather than a headgasket leak. However knowing full well that the OBW's had this issue, I kept it in mind. Well when I looked down, my mileage was at the 99,800 range and finally getting done working last week my mileage stopped at 99,920. When it arrived at the dealership it had

99,960 and I was just BARELY covered under warranty. Anyway they gave me no issues and replaced it free of charge with no hassle. Here is what was on the invoice of everything replaced:

2 Bottles Cooling System Conditioner

2 Spark Plug Pipe Gasket 1 Cylender Head Gasket 5 Rocker Cover Gaskets 2 Intake Manifold Gaskets 2 Gaskets 1 Subaru Coolant 1 Battery J/Bolts.

They also checked the right side was dry. The service manager told me that the leak was extremely small and there was a buildup of crust around the leak so that it wasn't giving a considerable smell on a consistent basis and that it wasn't causing a noticeable drop in coolant levels.

Lets just hope my passenger side gaskets don't start leaking at 100,020. I just drove home and it turned 100,009.

Brad

Reply to
Brad W.

it was a hell of a long drive home, bud

Reply to
daszkiew2000

Typical "Band-Aid" job by a Subaru Dealer. At 100K miles there were a few other things that SHOULD have been done...

Ticking time bomb....

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter

If you look back through the group in threads from a few months ago, I already had most everything taken care of for my 90k service with waterpump, thermostat, timing belts, and a full host of many other issues.

Reply to
Brad W.