02/03 Impreza headlights hazing up ... PLEASE read

...ah, and they are the ones that fired you, and Dr. Foofnick?

Reply to
CompUser

Hallraker wrote in article ...

The lenses are NOT yellowing. They are hazing or fogging.

Yellowing would be a consequence of age but that is another problem and might be expected at 169,000 miles.

There are many possibilities and material is one of them. The point of this thread and filing a complaint with NHTSA is to get Subaru to do the investigation and them come up with a fair resolution to the problem.

Reply to
Steve

I'm assuming that the headlight lenses are made of plexiglas. Anyone that owns a motorcycle that has a windshield knows better than to clean it with any cleaner that contains amonia. Amonia tears plexiglas up.

I see many cars with cloudy headlight lenses. I am guessing that they clean them at the gas station with the scrubber/squeegie and window cleaner provided at the pump. Most everyday cleaners have amonia in them.

That will cloud the plexiglas in a hurry. A good plastic polish and cleaner available at motorcyle dealers and auto parts stores could help.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I actually confused Fafoofnik with a Don Martin character in Mad magazine

30 years ago, but then I realised that one was amusing. 91 Liberty wagon (Aus Legacy) recently traded with 325000Km (just over 200K miles) no oil use or leaks, factory compression, 12500Km oil changes (not synth) as per spec. Drove well and towed well.
Reply to
hippo

Rick, I've been using the Meguiar's "Cleaner/Wax for clear coat finishes". It's the stuff in the burgundy colored bottle that's available everywhere. It's not specifically a plastic polish, but it works fine as long as it's done regularly. I'll usually hit my lenses every 3 months. Once the lenses have turned yellow it's a whole different ball game. -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

Reply to
Crash

Take the dealership to small claims court and be done with it.

Reply to
CompUser

Not that I want to get into the middle of this, but our friendly Dr. almost sounds like a disappointed Mitsubishi Evolution owner. Maybe his warranty was voided, or maybe he got spanked by a 3 cylinder Justy at the track, but he seems awfully bitter over something as non-personal as a car. Or perhaps he's a former Pontiac Fiero owner as well, since he claims to be so knowledgable about engine compartment fires.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

That very well could be. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. A car is a car. I don't spend my time complaining about the lemon cars I have had. I'm just happy to have my Subaru.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Reply to
Bryan Lee

Never said it wasn't sexy. ;) Actually when I was a kid I thought the Fiero was a very cool car. It was one of the cars I looked at for my first car, but I'd heard reports of engine compartment fires and even witnessed one myself.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Yeah so what's with all those Fiero engine compartment fires?

lol

Reply to
Henry Paul

The 4 cyl Fieros didn't have the problem, but the 6 cyl did. Was caused by heat trapped inside the engine compartment, causing the fuel to expand and boil out of the vent on the carb. The resulting fuel would give the engine a bath and result in a flash fire, usually within minutes after the car had been parked.The hotter the outside temp, the better the chances were for fire. Since the car was mostly fibreglass and plastic they burned HOT, fast and very well. Usually totally destroyed by the time the fire dept got there.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Steve: I usually resist the urge to respond to absurd messages, but I'm feeling weak today. You wrote, "I'm not looking forward to the outrageous cost of replacement headlights as I planned(?) to keep this Sube for a long time but now I have to reconsider that decision." You're planning to sell your car b/c the headlight lens cover is foggy??? If you decide apply anything to this headlight problem, I suggest applying some perspective. Give us a break. Also, I, for one, am not going to complain to Subaru or anyone else simply b/c

*you* can't get full satisfaction with a very minor problem.
Reply to
L. Kreh

If the factory part had major issues like that and the warranty and dealer wouldn't help, then I would look for an aftermarket solution myself.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I can find no aftermarket headlight solution other than "projector" style. If there was a third party replacement I'd look into it.

Henry Paul wrote in article ...

Reply to
Steve

Could you get a plastics shop to fabricate one for you? I have this done all the time with sheet metal and what not. I have not tried it with plastic though.

Reply to
Henry Paul

L. Kreh wrote in article ...

While Subaru's refusal to stand behind this headlight problem it gives me cause to question their willingness to stand behind the car on other issues. While this headlight problem isn't a monumental problem I'm beginning to wonder about the MANY complaints I read in newsgroups, in Subaru forums, and at consumer web sites where Subaru owner's are having repairs denied under warranty very frequently.

I planned to keep this car a long time. It replaced a 95 Plymouth Neon that has

142,000 miles on it that still runs strong. I purchased the factory Subaru Gold 7year/100k mile extended warranty. I'm having second thoughts about how Subaru will honor the warranty and If I'll have to fight for warranty repairs. Rather than go deeper into a major disappointment I can cash in the warranty and move to another brand car where the manufacturer might think they exist for their customer and not the other way around.

Just mulling over my options ... you mull over yours and make your own decisions, IF you own the car in question and IF you are having the headlight hazing problem and IF you think it should be covered under warranty (and warranty was denied) and IF you want to do something about it.

Here's your break ... can you feel it?

I'm not asking ANYONE to complain on my behalf. IF you own the car in question and IF you are having the headlight hazing problem and IF you think it should be covered under warranty (and warranty was denied) and IF you want to do something about it I posted two suggestions.

It's not that I'm getting "FULL" satisfaction from Subaru but rather NONE at all.

Reply to
Steve

Henry Paul wrote in article ...

I'm sure that custom lenses and then finding a way to seal them to the assembly would end up costing more than Subaru headlights. The lenses are contoured, not flat.

Point is, I shouldn't have to do anything other than make an appointment at the Subaru dealer.

Reply to
Steve

Well, custom lenses that last the life of the car could be cheaper than buying new lenses 2 or 3 more times.

It's a shame the dealer won't go to bat for you after the money you have spent. That's one reason why I don't buy new cars aside from not having the money in the first place! :-)

Reply to
Henry Paul