02 Forester Auto Trans Filter

When I had 30k miles on my '02 Subaru the dealer changed the trans fluid but he didn't change the filter. I'm doing the 60k miles myself and when I drain the fluid I'm going to change the filter too. Does it go on like an oil filter - lubricate the gasket and tighten about 1 to 1-1/2 turns?

Reply to
Carmen Petruzzi

Yes. (and he should have changed the filter too!) Just be darn sure to wipe every particle of dirt and grime you can see 4 times around the filter BEFORE removing it. Subies have a NASTY habit of trapping sand and grit around the filter mating surface and you want to do a

200% eyeball with a good light to be sure there is NO grit or sand around the filter mating surface(s) before-during-and-after the job. Also clean the body floorpan above the filter BEFORE removing it. Sand collects here too and you bump into it while the filter is off and your in deep if it falls in. Besst to tape a clean rag above the area to catch falling debris before removing it.
Reply to
Gridleakkbe3

Reply to
Edward Hayes

What I heard was it is only supposed to catch whatever grit may be inside from the factory after initial assembly. I suppsoe it couldn't harm anything to replace - and certainly if the tranny were 'opened' for internal work, I expect the same danger that existed when it was built makes installing a replacement a no brainer, but not required. Does it appear on a maintenance schedule?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks for all the advice guys. I guess since I have it, I'll change it and this may be the last time I do.

Reply to
Carmen Petruzzi