02 Forster sluggish at low fuel levels

Noticing that my Forester can get really sluggish when the tank gets near the "low fuel light" warning. After stopping and then accelerating again, the car will balk, acting as if its out of gas, (it will finally get going okay) when in fact according to the manual there is still ike 2.6 gallons left.

Reply to
Sparky

Maybe you are running out of gas. How much are you able to put in your

Reply to
Edward Hayes

From what I understand the inlet for the fuel pump does not go all the way to the bottom of the tank. This might be to allow for dirt and water in the fuel to settle and not get sucked into the fuel pump. So it is possible to be out of gas and yet not be out of gas in the tank.

It is definitely possible during stop and go situations for the fuel to slosh around in the tank, and at low fuel levels allows the possibility of no fuel being present at the pump when accelerating or braking. It also depends upon the location of the pump in the tank. It sounds to me like it is near the front of the tank. So when you accelerate the fuel moves to the rear of the tank leaving the pump to suck air. When acceleration levels off, the fuel returns to the pump. This condition should become worse as the level of fuel drops.

This is also very bad for the health of a fuel pump. Running a pump with no fuel to it will burn it up pretty quick. My advice would be to find a comfortable minimum level where you refuel regularly.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Thanks for the replies - I try to keep the tank full but my commute is a bit long and sometimes I just get low - thanks for the help

Reply to
AB7RU