02 WRX: Am I just driving this thing wrong??

I took my 02 WRX into the dealer to have it test driven by the regional service manager. I am concerned about the first gear synchros.

We took it out, he was driving, and we could not replicate my symptom (that being that first gear sometimes just slams in with no resistance, before the gears are syncd).

He was considerably more aggressive with the car than I am, applying a fair bit of pressure as he geared down from second into first. But the problem would not appear.

So I took off. got a little ways away from the dealership, and came to a stop light.

I put the car in neutral and sat there until the light went green.

-When the light went green, I put in the clutch, and went into first.

*WHAM* right into a spinning gear. No resistance at all.

WTF??

I am totally willing to accept that I may not be *doing* this correctly, but I don't know what it is that I'm doing wrong. Only thing I can think of is that I may not be waiting long enough between putting in the clutch and shifting into first.

Is there such a thing as 'rushing' a shift into first, from a full stop, with the clutch fully in, that could result in gears impacting each other like this? Should I be waiting longer?

It's only first gear that's the issue.

The car recently had its 48000km service, and there were no flakes of metal in the engine oil or the gear oil. So no 'signs of abuse' there.

I am really confused - and starting to feel stupid. If there's nothing wrong with the car, then what the heck is wrong with my driving style????

BD

Reply to
BD

Sounds like you're not getting the clutch all the way out before putting it in gear. Is it grinding at all when this happens?

Reply to
JD

Certainly did today - I was stopped at a light, put the clutch to the floor, pushed the shifter in and it ground like a SOB.

Only thing I could (maybe) criticize about my 'technique' was that I was in a rush, and didn't wait at all between putting the clutch down and moving the shifter. I shouldn't have to be that 'delicate' when going into first gear. Or so I should think. But the clutch pedal was certainly right to the floor before I moved the shifter.

If I can replicate this, I'm going back in.

I'm sorely tempted to abandon this vehicle altogether and go back to more predictable Toyotas. I don't drive this thing hard enough to really justify it anyway. ;-)

Reply to
BD

May just be a clutch needing a little adjustment.

Reply to
johninKY

Slow down on moving the shifter after you've floored the clutch. Make

*SURE* you are connected to how this car clutches and shifts, like learning how to make love to a new woman. They're all different, and they're all pliable PROVIDED you follow the timing procedure they each want/need.

I've never experienced what you're describing, but I also wait to get the FEEL for the shifter interaction with the clutch. Disengage all the gears first with the clutch, then work with the shifter. Good luck. You can do this. After you get the hang of how your car works, you can speed up the actual shifting.

Reply to
KLS

Hi,

If I read your problem correctly, you're sitting, stopped, gearbox in neutral, then when you push in the clutch and try to shift into first, all kinds of bad things happen?

If so, don't feel all alone. There are a lot of gearboxes out there that just don't like going straight from neutral to first, and really don't like going straight from neutral to reverse. Why, I'm not sure.

One solution's so simple I'm surprised nobody at your dealer suggested it: before attempting the shift into first, pull it down toward second, then push forward toward first. When going for reverse, find another gear first, then move to reverse. (I've also seen some drivers "wave" the shift lever back and forth thru the neutral gate before going to first, and it seems to work with SOME vehicles.)

One of my early VW water-cooled models had this problem, and this suggestion was actually published in the magazine they sent out to new owners. It works for many makes and models, so give it a try!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Thanks, Rick, I will try that.

I guess I haven't made these behaviors habitual because the 'bad things' that happen are not consistent. It happens only occasionally. But I do agree that if I can force myself to adopt those behaviours, and it reduces the collateral frustration, I'll feel better.

Gracias...

Reply to
BD

I think Rick's advice is good. Although my '06 WRX seems well behaved in first, I do sometimes have trouble with reverse, and going to another gear first helps a lot. I had the same trouble with my '69 Datsun SRL311 ! I'm gonna try the neutral, 'full gate wave' maneuver too. You might try something as subtle as moving the seat forwrd 1 or 2 clicks (and leaning the back of the seat back a click - for arm length adjustment.) It took me some time to find the right seating position - and it made more difference in clutch performance than I expected.

fyi

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yes, it does seem to have made a difference.

I took a couple of different cars for a test drive today, and it's amazing how much smoother a 'normal' performing car shifts. In contrast, the WRX is so much rougher in the transition from one gear to another.

But, I guess when you're dealing with higher performance parts, smoothness isn't really so much of a priority.

I'll keep at it like this for a few more weeks, and also keep considering other cars. I'd like to hang onto this thing, as I love how it feels, but my confidence is just a little shaky right now. ;-)

Reply to
BD

Especially true with clutches. For high power handling, they must be built to minimise the time between "off" and "on", since this is where additional heating occurs (additional to the energy of rotational inertia, which is unavoidable).

I think the OP was probably pushing through the synchro before the clutch is disengaged. The clutch can effortlessly pass half the engine's maximum power for a brief period, but the synchros only perhaps 1% of that power, so they're totally overpowered if you aren't fully declutched. You won't know what's happened until the gear teeth clash.

I also drive an old Alfa Romeo, and after 20 years with almost no synchro I've replaced the gearbox and have synchro again. On the odd occasion where I'm too quick, the synchros bite back by rejecting the gearchange - they're designed to push the incoming gear back so the lever dramatically spits back at you. The Subaru gearbox ('99 Liberty RX) definitely *doesn't* do this, it just allows spinning gears to clash.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

For FHI maybe it was not.

What's your shopping list look like? Let us know what you find/end up with, will you?

Reply to
Body Roll

Oh, it's ludicrous. I can buy some cars new for the buyout price, but only ones with lawn mower engines. I sooooo love spinning up my car in second gear on the highway. As to alternatives, I'm thinking super-economical compacts. Totally different animal. There are also older vehicles which might have a better rep as far as trannies go, but there are so many unknowns about used cars, and I know exactly what's happened to this one.

I expect that what will happen is I'll keep it, drive it for a few more years, and then consider replacing the tranny if it gets considerably worse over time.

It's not like I 'work' the car at all - 30,000 miles after 4 years really isn't much.

I am anxious about the tranny, but the more research I do the more I am led to believe that it will live out a useful life as long as I'm good to it, and perhaps make a few minor adjustments in my driving habits...

Reply to
BD

Fit should be a hoot to drive.

Did you consider test driving 06 or 07 WRX? Carl was not griping about his 06. If you paid your 02 off maybe you'd like 06/07 enough to trade in? I think FHI was tinkering with the synchros for 06.

Maybe the dealer would be more willing to give you a good price on 06 or 07 knowing you troubles with 02. If a trade in is an option that is and the tranny is your only gripe. Keep us posted. Thanks.

Reply to
Body Roll

I'll try one.

At this point I need to get away from those payments. Only current options are to keep the current car with the buyout, or get something which will cost me about the same as the buyout. Another new WRX ain't happening. Unless I win a lottery or get a 75% pay raise or something. ;)

It is my only real gripe - the car shudders slightly on acceleration a bit if I use 91 gas instead of 94, but that's a relatively minor quibble. But I tell ya, when I went in there and explained the tranny issue, and the service gal said that these issues were mostly caused by abuse, I could have vomited all over the service desk, torn her head of, and marinated her head in my own vomit. Made me madder than hell.

There is another dealership 90 minutes up the highway; I think I'll schedule an appointment with a mechanic from there, go for a spin, and really talk about it.

Might even go this weekend, if I can swing it. ;)

Reply to
BD

I'd also suggest digging around at

in the tranny forum. many people experience improvements with alternate lubricants in the tranny. And, it would be affordable to try. Redline, Royal Purple, even some mixes of 2 or more fluids have been reported to help.

good luck

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Yes, thanks Carl, I expect that down the road I may try these things. Arguably, however, the adoption of some revised techniques on my part (heel/toe for deceleration and double-clutching from second to first) will help as well _and_ extend the useful life of the tranny. So I think I'll try to change my habits a bit first, and see how much cleaner that makes things.

Always an adventure... ;)

Reply to
BD