'02 WRX turbo lag or something else?

I've been driving my '02 WRX wagon for the last 2 years and I got used to avoid 'turbo lag' at quick accelerations by keeping the revs up when necessary. Recently, it seems (or it's just my hallucination) that this lag is more noticeable. Let's say it's 2nd or 3rd gear and I keep revs at approx. 3000 RPMs. No matter if I press gas pedal 'to the metal' or just a half way there's no difference in acceleration. I can hear turbine whistling and turbo gauge showing proper activity but there's no difference in acceleration and response. Clutch wear? I was thinking of that one but that would be really strange after 'only' 22000 miles. I never drag raced this car and I have really long-term experience driving performance cars with manual shift. Also, I never noticed clutch slipping when driving up the hill after a full stop. I still have clutch shudder issues on colder days but that's normal for WRX. Tranny maybe? Any suggestion would be helpful. My regular service is coming soon and I'd like to have some 'ammo' to make these guys at service do some thorough check-up.

Reply to
Dundo

Wow... did you try resetting the ECU? (Disconnect the negative battery terminal for about an hour.)

Best way to reduce the turbo lag IMO is to just gut the up-pipe and/or install a catless downpipe.

peace, spidie

Reply to
the artist spidie

You mention that the regular service is coming soon,. Do you drive your engine hard? Look at the outer parts of your tires? as the car is two years old ? a 30 K service is probably in order by time rather than be miles. Air Filter maybe clogging, Gas filter might have sediment in it, the plugs should not be fouled but may be carbonized, the simple service would first be recommended. Also try a basic Fuel injector cleaner.

Marc S. Natick Subaru Sales and Leas>

Reply to
marc

My '01 RS got clutch slip after 20,000 miles, try the clutch pedal, see if there's a SMALL amount of play, if not, get some very soon, there's an adjuster up in there, have a look.

Reply to
David Algie

Probably just driver expectations not being met. I have an '02 WRX wagon too. The poor thing is a real pooch until the turbo winds up at ~3500RPMs or so, only then does it start to pull hard! Kills me at the autocross; those tight turns . . . sigh. You might try putting in the grounding mods described in various forums (clubWRX or Soobiemods), as poor grounding in the engine compartment can cause a hesitation in throttle response. You might also try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes to reset the ECU; they do learn, and based on your previous driving habits (lotsa city slo-n-go?) it might be in a gas-saver mode of some sort. Beyond that you'll need to look at changes to the intake tract, up/down-pipe modifications, and a switch to an aftermarket blowoff valve of some description; all of these mods address the turbo lag issues, and probably blow your warranty in the process. Hope this is helpful.

ByeBye! S.

Dundo

steve,

i agree with everything except the blow off valve. the stock one is fine and is actually a diverter valve, which keeps the metered air in the intake system. most aftermarked bov's are atmospheric, which will lead to a momentary rich condition while they are actuated. not bad, but not good either. they won't do squat for your spool up time!

if you really want spool, and you want to keep a factory warrantee (at least appearance wise) then look at a deadbolt port and polish job on the stock td04 turbo. you should also consider getting a stock up pipe, gutting out the superfluous cat that's inside, and putting it on the car. you will still easily pass both sniffer and visual emissions testing.

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert