03 H6 Outback noise power steering

I mentioned in another thread that I was chasing an intermittent noise (they always only make noise for the wife don't they?) in my wife's Outback. The problem got bad enough that I became certain it could only be the power steering. And it did misbehave for me yesterday. VERY loud noise.

after a coupla failed attempts to stop the power steering pump from sucking in air, (you could see bubbles and foam in the tank) today I got a replacement o-ring for the suction hose housing on top of the pump. That seems to be working. MUCH less noise. I still want to do some lock-to-lock 'purging' as outlined in the document AS posted (thank you) and I had some trouble that required me to make an xtra trip for a replacement bolt - but, Ace hardware was able to match the o-ring (be sure to tell them it's a metric application)' Before this o- ring replacement, I had tried putting some heavy grease on the part and the mating surfaces of the housing. I also change the clamps on the hoses in 3 places. Only changing the o-ring seems to have solved the problem. Hopefully, the o-ring from Ace can survive in this location!

hope this might help someone else in the future.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for the feedback.

At work, i have had to research about o-rings a bunch. There are so many variations in materials, manufacturing processes, and qualities that for cars I have opted to go with OEM seals, including o-rings whenever possible.

e.g. not all NBR o-rings, of the same harness (shore) are the same. The same applies for all other materials.

To top it all, seals age when in storage.

AS

1 Lucky Texan wrote:

Reply to
AS

Since I'm familiar with the problem now, if it starts up again in the future - I'll get a seal from my dealer. I may replace all the fluid in the spring, might swap out the o-ring then. (the fluid is likely original too. Now the system has a a large fraction of new fluid since my work on it)

I was frustrated to get something done. I have some very limited knowledge about the different durometers/materials in which these seals can be made. But if the one I used lasts just a coupla years, I won't be disappointed.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan