03 H6 Outback stalled - no code???

On a coupla rare occasions in the past, my wife's Outback has set the CEL and I've only read misfire codes. She never reported poor running. The car has fairly low miles - 55K and is fairly well maintained. purchased new, never wrecked.

Recently, the car stalled after moving about 2 blocks or so from being parked, then it restarted. No CEL and no codes were stored. No poor running conditions reported. Only happened once so far, but my wife's confidence is shaken. This is very disconcerting.

Is there a known issue like this? Some kinda relay dropping out or something? Had a daughter's 90 Maxima that did this (intermittent stalling) and it was fixed with a 'motor control relay' IIRC.

thanx for any insight.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Not a known failure for H4s or H6s of that vintage.

Stalled while at idle or while on the throttle?

Plugs are due at 60K, misfire code points that way as it has no plug wires.

Is it the VDC model?

I have an '03 LL Bean with the H6, no VDC.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

While some vin decoders call her car an LL Bean it isn't. No VDC..

At least one instance of misfire codes was likely fuel related as it was after a fill-up. the other I don't recall. maybe a little water went through? And no poor running conditions reported either.

Did the H6 come with platinum plugs from the factory? I probably do need to get on that soon.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I THINK she said she was approaching or at a light. Certainly not 'at speed' probably low-ish RPMs. No recently purchased fuel.

While some vin decoders call her car an LL Bean it isn't. No VDC..

At least one instance of misfire codes was likely fuel related as it was after a fill-up. the other I don't recall. maybe a little water went through? And no poor running conditions reported either.

Did the H6 come with platinum plugs from the factory? I probably do need to get on that soon.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I wonder if it could clogged EGR valve? I am having a kind of similar problem not as bad but will lose power wont cut off but lose power and I pull over wait a min or two and it is fine. I think mine may be clogged EGR, I am going ot have it looked at. Look up EGR valve on Google it will tell you what happens when it is clogged.

Reply to
volleybiggs

Carl, I haven't seen any "stalling" issues with any Subaru's. I wouldn't worry about the plugs, as for that should not cause a stalling issue; But get em changed. Have fun changing them! If you can repeat the stalling, the dealer may need to put a scan tool on it and see it- one Forester did have this problem, the tech had to drive the car home many times until the problem duplicated- it had something to do with the o2 sensor dropping off briefly; but it hasn't happened sence. keep us informed

Reply to
StephenH

I'm trying to think of plausible scenarios that would create a stall without triggering a code. Maybe there was an air bubble in the fuel line, that just happened to strike at that moment in time? Something like that probably wouldn't trigger a check engine warning, as the parts involved (fuel pump) wouldn't really be at fault.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I drove it last night and it is glass smooth. I think I have a tire that causes a little vibration, and I know I have split boot on a CV joint - but the powertrain is as good as new (I still have a hard downshift at highway speeds sometimes when passing - always had that) yeah, reading about the plug change issue is frightening. I think I'm gonna try it from underneath when I make my attempt. Can I use the NGK Iridiums or should I just get platinums? got a part number handy?

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I was surprised there was no code. And it couldn't have been - say - a bad battery cable cause the station presets were still in the radio. (besides, the engine was running so I guess the alternator should have putting out) Seems like I HAVE heard of folks with similar year model soobs having some odd issues when, say, backing the car out of a garage, turning it off, and then getting back in and restarting with rough-running and/or fuel smells. (at least, that's close to what I recall reading about???) Given that my wife was taking her handicapped friend to a doctor's appointment, I dunno the exact sequence she may have dropped someone off, parked, started the car, pulled up to a door, gotten in/out, if engine was stopped/started multiple times in quick succession or anything. perhaps it was a one-off event. I hope so.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I have a '02 3.0 VDC. Not sure about the OP issue, but I can vouch for replacing the sparkplugs. I replaced mine at 65,000. The front 4 were not bad. The driver side rear plug was somewhat difficult. The passenger side read plug was a bi*tch. It took me two hours. Now I'm sure with the right tool it would have been easier. I was using a standard sparkplug socket/socket wrench. I'm at 130,000 now, so time to replace again. I'm not look forward to fighting with the right-rear one again, but I've done it once, so will do it again. John

Reply to
jamason56

I gave up trying to get to the rear plugs in my 2.5 after about 3 hours of trying to figure it out. Just went to the dealer and let them handle it.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I quizzed her some more and she said it died AFTER she was completely stopped at a light. So, it stalled at idle in gear. From the rest of the account, it seems the car had been parked for some time - 90 minutes +/- but was started, driven to a different lot, idled for 15 plus minutes, moved to a doorway, placed in park idling while waiting for X minutes to pickup a passenger - bottom line, sounds like it had to be at normal operating temp, not cold. I'm quite certain the a/c would have been on if that matters - it's on a lot here this time of year! lol!

anyway - I drove it again yesterday, Glass smooth running/idling ( a slight steering wheel wobble when I release the wheel while moving, from a bad tire I think) I will be driving it out of town next Wednesday on a 'road trip' with relatives so - hope i don't have to tow it home!

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

LL beans have LL bean badges and LL Bean imprinted on the seats.

Beaners did not have VDC.

Platinum plugs are standard.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

The car drove like a dream yesterday on a road trip. No detectable rough-running or missing.

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan