03 OBW 2.5L jerky throttle

Once upon a time there were solenoids on the carburetor to keep the throttle open a little to allow air into the engine to help keep emissions down when you would take your foot off the throttle completely to decelerate. This would mean there would be a slight delay before your engine braking would take full effect.

My new OBW seems to not have this feature (according to the dealer), so when you take your foot of the accelerator, there is immediate and full engine braking/decelerating. This makes for real jerky driving through parking lots when I'm in first fear and also makes for jerky cruise control driving. Cruise control really holds a tight tolerance due to this "feature". It feels like the brakes are being applied frequently as I'm cruising, especially downhill. Again, service guy says this is normal.

Anyone else observe these "features" in their new Subies?

Thanks

Reply to
nItpIk

nItpIk wrote: [...]

I have observed this feature on every manual transmission car I have ever driven. Especially noticible when the car is being driven by someone just learning to drive stick.

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

I have noticed the problem in my 03 OBW with Auto.

When you cruise let's say at 55 miles, and then release the gas pedal I feel a small jerk, when the car slows down to 45 mph and I barely touch the gas pedal, then I feel the jerk repeatedly.

This seems to be a problem with the design of the engine mounts and the drive train as a whole. My guess is that in order to achieve reduction in noise, vibration and harshness, they made the mounts too soft and then the jerk becomes noticeable.

I talked to the mechanic at the dealer, and he did not recognize the problem. In the past, he has been very trustworthy and open about other problems. I still have to take the car for him to see the problem.

I will let you know as so> Once upon a time there were solenoids on the carburetor to keep the throttle

Reply to
TM

Have you taken it in for this yet? I'm interested in hearing the report.

Reply to
nItpIk

Yes. I noticed it in my 99 Outback shortly after I got it. Another post pointed out that this behavior exists in all manual transmission cars. I've owned 3 other sticks and the Subaru is the most noticeable. After a while you develop a shift rhythm that minimizes it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart