03 Outback e-brake

How could I take up a few 'clicks' of slack in my wife's 03 Outback's parking brake handle?

thanx

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

03 is a star wheel in the rear brake assy, assuming its rear disc (it should be) Just like the old fords, remove the rubber plug under the rear axles and roll them up. (there is a arrow to show the direction on the backing plate) spin the wheel as you do this and when you feel drag, back up a bit on the wheel, then do the other side
Reply to
StephenH

I haven;'t been underneath my oughty-ought Outback (dammit... I'm being creative tonite, I can't believe I came up with that) lately, so I don't remember if there was a cable adjuster on the parking brake (PB) cables (or the PB cable layout for that matter).

I don't remember seeing any adjustments under the console for the PB when I last had it apart for the stereo install; and it's not a usual practice to put it there. Some PBs do have adjusters under the handle, but those are usually exposed (no console).

I'd be willing to bet there is one under the car near the console, though. If not, good auto supply stores have a little add-on dongle for taking up some of the slack.

Scientific Wild-Assed Guess (SWAG)... You might get lucky and find that it's a "self-adjuster" type. Find a good size open parking lot; and do a few "hard jerk" stops (5-10 mph) in reverse using just the parking brake. If it does take up the slack, there is a self-adjuster and it works! If not, there wasn't much lost by trying (except possibly some strange looks).

(I'm not sure on the PBs being self-adusting, but....)

Carl, not so much aimed at you but just in case someone googles this thread...

1) Subaru (and many other makes) with rear disk brakes actually have a set of small drum-type brakes in the center of the rear disks for parking brakes. Disk brakes don't make good parking brakes without some extensive engineering issues that often compromise their "normal" role. Subie chose the itty-bitty drums for parking brakes, they do work well for that.

"Self-adjusting" brakes (drum brakes) often "don't do that". Most designs rely on the driver making enough reasonably hard stops while in reverse to actuate the ratcheting system that does the adjustment. Some peoples driving/braking habits just never generate enough force to do that. Mild corrosion can also stop them from working. Sometimes, specialty brake shoes will need "extra adjustment", such as semi-metallics during seat-in time.

Doing a few "hard slam" stops from 5-10 MPH in reverse to force the self-adjusters to work is an ancient but good item. If this step works, it saves you a trip to the brake shop or wasted time laying under the car with a brake-adjuster "spoon" tool.

Reply to
nobody >

Have to remove the center console to take the slack out of the cable. Once the console is removed what needs done will be obvious. To adjust the shoes, rubber plug on the backside of the rear brakes. Turn the star wheel.

Reply to
johninky

Yeah, I don't think backing up will help cable stretch/w'ever (though I did a couple of reverse hard stops just the other day.)

So, there's some take-up screw or something near the handle. Is the console easy to disassemble without breaking plastic bits?

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Do you have the Legacy or Impreza Outback? Either way this should help, although it will probably be more accurate if it's the Impreza version-

mulder

Just a long bolt and a yoke. Not too difficult removing the console. The shifter handle should have 2 small screws which need removed to pull the shifter out of the way. Other than that, just a lot of screws.

Reply to
johninky

Can be reached without disassembly if you have a 1/4-drive socket set (deep), and an extension.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

Ooooh...I'm gonna get a flash light and look through the 'boot'- dealie. I love a challenge!

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

The end of the cable is a threaded end attached to the e-brake handle assy. Two nuts are used, one to adjust the cable "tightness" and the other to lock the 1st nut in place. Just don't go too tight on the cable because then it begins to grab the rear brakes and will drag.

Reply to
John

licks' of slack in my wife's 03 Outback's

But before you adjust the cable, make sure the park brake is adjusted properly, by the wheels in the rear. When we do a 30k service we adjust them, and this fixes the handle problem.

Reply to
StephenH

'clicks' of slack in my wife's 03 Outback's

Really? I just assumed they would be self-adjusting and spinning the star w'ever would only be required when replacing the shoes. I suppose like the old adjustment, I can put the rear up on jacks, adjust until I get drag, then back off slightly?

interesting.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

w 'clicks' of slack in my wife's 03 Outback's

self adjusting is only moderately successful, even on normal car brakes.

Reply to
StephenH

w 'clicks' of slack in my wife's 03 Outback's

as a side note, one car came back and I had to continue backing off the star wheel because they thought the handle was to tight.

Reply to
StephenH

few 'clicks' of slack in my wife's 03 Outback's

I haven't worked on the car yet. But with rain on the way - and the weekend - I'll likely take care of this soon.

thanx

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan