'04 Forester XT observations, mostly MPG

With about 2,000 miles on the odometer now, I'm getting to know my Forester pretty well. My best two (consecutive) around-town-only, stop-and-go mileage figures were 16.8. On one 95 mile trip to San Diego, using cruise control (it was a good traffic day--it can be bumper-to-bumper much of the way between LA and SD) set to 75, I was able to get 32.5 one time. This past Sunday, from Orange County to the Palm Springs area, only 20.5 (although that included some stop-and-go due to an accident). Some of the time we were cruising at 85, with short spurts to 90. (Traffic on the Interstate 10 corridor between Palm Springs and Indio moves, en masse, at such speeds, apparently. Where the CHP is I have no idea.)

My conclusions, so far:

  1. This car is very powerful and responsive, once the turbo lag is over, and the transmission's made a decision about what it's going to do (but that's another post).
  2. Part of the responsiveness is due to that 4.44 final drive ratio, which means running at a bit over 3,000 RPM at 80 MPH. I wish it didn't have to rev so much, but it's certainly smooth and I've no sensation of a thrashy, screaming 4- banger, because it isn't.
  3. Actually, around 80, I presume because it's approaching max torque, it really accelerates if you punch it. It's surprisingly strong.
  4. I think very good economy can be had IF you keep your foot out of the turbo. High gas mileage will take a light touch, steady speeds, and infrequent enjoyment of the car's power.
  5. Hopefully the engine is still on the new/stiff side, and will break in more yet so MPG will improve.
  6. I love this car. So far, I'm a very happy first-Subaru owner! I don't understand why I don't see more of them in So Cal. It's apparently something of a well-kept secret, despite the recent bout of advertising, but it's also kind of cool that the car is, for now, something special.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

There is quite a discussion in the edmunds.com townhall concerning the XT's fuel consumption. Seems like hit-and-miss, consumption is all over the place. Although the way you drive certainly should have a large impact, some just don't seem to be able to get good numbers (

Reply to
TransFixed

Well, that 90 was very brief. I don't think the car has the brakes for that warp factor.

55? Sure enough! And 45 would be even better!

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

Try 55 and you will get 30% better mileage !!

90? mamamia
Reply to
no way

"H. Whelply" wrote in news:5qbxb.22711$m24.5396@fed1read02:

[snippage]

And if you never took it out of the driveway, mileage would approach infinity. But where's the fun in that?!? :-)

Reply to
Mike Bender

hmmmm no then you start to lug the engine I just got 38 miles per gallon Canadian in my last tankfull fill up tonight

2004 impreza outback sport model :))) the factory claims 36 I have exceeded their rating 3 times. under 4000k's on the car so far.
Reply to
no way

a us gallon is 3.7854 litres. An Imperial gallon is 4.54 litres. You can go

1.2 times as far on a imp gal.

You are getting 31.68 mi/us gal. Keep trying!

Mike.

Reply to
Mike

surely you jest. it is a forrester turbo for crying out loud. it begs to be driven (by what's inside Mik

"H. Whelply" wrote:

Reply to
Michael P. Smith

Keep trying? What milage does the original reader get at 90 miles per hour is the whole point of the discussion. How many US owners get 31.68 m.p.g. US gallons? How many Canadian owners get 31.68 m.p.g. in Canadian gallons? The point is...... It is up the driver to get the optimum milage , save fuel, use less to pollute the air and save people's health. So YOU keep trying try to beat the milages I get if you really want something good to do for everyone.

Reply to
no way

be driven (by what's inside)

Yeah, but he neutered with an automatic. *gag*

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan