'04 Liberty

Has anyone noticed how the Liberty has dual exhaust outlets but only a single exhaust pipe from the engine to the rear? This seems as though the dual exhausts are for vanity reasons only.... Can anyone provide a functional reason?

Shane.

Reply to
Shane White

I think that's true for many (most?) cars that have dual exhaust, though I'm reflecting only on my now-departed '99 Honda Acord V6. Reason? I'd guess it's cheaper than running real dual exhaust.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply

I would imagine it's to reduce the backpressure of one muffler.

Stu

Shane White wrote:

Reply to
Stu Hedith

On the great majority of cars, it's for show only. Kind of sucks when they ultimately rust out and both become liabilities.

CW

Reply to
CW

Two mufflers will have more backpressure than one.... No, there are no practical reasons for running this dual-tip system. It's purely for vanity reasons, as the original poster said.

Cam

Reply to
C Bell

From what I gather the dual exhaust system was to increase ground clearance under the middle. The mufflers in the new Outback are no longer the lowest part.

Gerard...

Reply to
Gerard

There _could_ be practicality behind it, although I doubt it ... the AE82 Corolla Seca Twin Cam had dual tips when the Hatch had a single; Toyota claimed the duals were a little bit quieter, which ws why the Seca had them. The Seca was a bit quieter, but then it was a coupla inches longer; which could've made that amount of difference.

I reckon Subaru would advertise if they were using the block-one-exit system that BMW were using (dunno if they still do).

-Forg

Reply to
Forg

on my rx7 it looks like they've done it so they can fit more emissions / muffling gear in! :)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

True, good points. What is this BMW system you speak of? I could find out...

Cam

Reply to
C Bell

The 6 cylinder BMWS (mainly 3 series) have a flap in one of the exhaust pipe exits that remains shut at low engine speed to reduce exhaust noise. It is opened at higher engine speeds to reduce back pressure.

Reply to
Richard Fay

That makes no sense. If you have a fixed volume of air leaving through a restriction, and you double the size of the restriction, you essentially halve the backpressure created by the restriction. If you've ever designed an irrigation system, the priciples are similar. Suppose you have one sprinkler head on a line that sprays a diameter of

30 feet (diameter is directly related to water pressure = backpressure). Add a second head and they still likely go almost 30 feet since the water supply should be able to maintain the back pressure. At some point, the number of heads will allow enough water out to exceed the water supply's capacity. and the back pressure will be less and the heads will no longer spray 30'. Now on a car the supply air is fixed so as soon as you add a second muffler, there will be a reduction in backpressure, assuming the mufflers are all of the same design and exhaust pipes are the same diameter.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith