06 Forester - trouble starting two different NEW cars.

Hi everyone.

We just purchased a new 06 forester 2.5X (the base model) in a 5 speed. Prior to buying the car I rented the exact same car but in an automatic. The rental had ~1000Km (I'm from Canada). I really liked the rental car, but did have one problem. Sometimes the engine took a bit of time to start. I'd turn it over ~10 seconds before it would fire. To me this seemed like a long time for a new car to turn over before starting. I thought the thing was broken and actually called the rental place to find out what happens if I'm off in some far away place and it stops working.

Anyhow, at the end of the week with the rental I went into the Subaru dealership to pick up our new forester (the one that we were purchasing). While I was there, I asked them about the problems I had starting the rental (the rental car left the lot of the same dealership that we bought our car from, but about a week earlier). They told me they hadn't heard of it, and didn't give me a good answer for what they thought could be wrong (it could be one of many different things they told me). Well, our new forester (13Km) did the exact same thing the second time we tried to start it. It now has

400Km and is doing pretty much the exact same thing.

It's fairly intermittent though. Sometimes it does it, sometimes not (I know this is going to cause all sorts of grief when I take it into the dealer and ask what's wrong). I've yet to figure out how to get the problem to consistently occur. It doesn't do it on a cold start. but it does do it if I've driven for a bit, shut it off, then on again right away. or, last night I let it sit for probably an hour after driving for 20 min and it did it.

Has anyone else has had this problem or does anyone have any insights into what might be wrong? I'm taking it in and wanted to do some research first.

Thanks.

Reply to
fufu

Gilles Gour

Where did you rent it? I rented a lot of vehicles before buying an 05 Forester, but I wasn't able to find anyone with Subarus. Even the dealers (Ottawa and Montreal) couldn't name anyone.

Thanks! =andrew

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

I rented a Subaru Forester in Hawaii from National Car rental. I see other models on the lot from most of the major rental companies, and even rented a

2wd Legacy in Detroit in the mid 90's from Hertz. I do not recall seeing Subaru's in Canadian rental lots though.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

Sorry for the late reply. My internet was down.

I rented it from National in BC. I've seen them in a few different National lots.

Reply to
fufu

"fufu" wrote in news:UaqIe.182708$tt5.24947@edtnps90:

I don't know if this program is available in Canada:

Subaru to allow overnight test-drives at some dealers Posted Date: 7/11/05

NEW YORK -- Subaru of America Inc. has launched a test-drive program that allows consumers to take a vehicle home overnight.

The program -- Think. Feel. Drive. A Subaru for a Day -- runs until Sept.

  1. All Subaru models except the Impreza and its STi and WRX derivatives are eligible.

Dealer participation is voluntary. Subaru won't compensate stores for vehicles used for the program but will pay the extra insurance cost, says Rick Crosson, Subaru's vice president of marketing.

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

Okay, thanks.

=aw