07 Legacy Spec.B - Jerky Acceleration

I have a 9-month-old 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec.B than has been accelerating somewhat choppily ever since I bought it. At first I just wrote it off as normal turbocharger lag, but lately I have been wondering if this is indeed normal.

What happens is that if I shift up into a gear (e.g. shifting from 1st into 2nd) and then I floor the accelerator, as if I am trying to pass somebody, instead of getting a nice smooth power flow, it accelerates a bit jerkily and hesitates about 3 times before it becomes smooth. It's a subtle jerkiness (not like the whole car is shaking), and feels like a throttle issue rather than, for example, clutch slippage (but who knows). I have noticed this issue in both Sport and Sport Sharp modes, but most frequently in Sport Sharp because that's where I usually have it set.

Can anybody tell me if their own Spec.B behaves similarly, or let me know if this sounds like something is wrong?

Thanks.

Reply to
Lothar of the Hill People

Have you thought about a plug momentarily fouling with too much gass when you floor it?

That's what mine feels like

Reply to
Bugalugs

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:54:38 +1200, Bugalugs uttered like so:

That sounds like as reasonable explanation as any, but what would cause such a thing to happen in a brand-new vehicle?

Anyway, I posted this same question on the forums at

and apparently this is a very commoncomplaint, about something that people have been referring to as"stuttering" or "studdering." It sounds like the problem might becaused by a fault in the ECU program, though I'm not certain yet thatmy problem is exactly the same one they're describing.

Reply to
Lothar of the Hill People

I have an 07 Legacy 2.5 GT sedan with automatic, and, I've felt a slight "hesitation" or something, almost like the power shutoff, then back on, while accelerating a few times. It's almost like you ran over a slight bump in the road, and, the car kinda slows then speeds back up quickly.

I know it's a different engine, but, maybe it's something to do with the

4-cylinder or turbo?
Reply to
Bill Bradley

Lothar of the Hill People wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

This is a known issue with the 07 STi, and I just read that it MAY extend to the 07 Legacy Spec.B also. It has to do with the ECU mapping, which apparently Subaru had to radically modify to meet the new emissions standards for 2007. Subaru released an ECU reflash for the STi, but it does not really fix the problem.

You might want to check out the online forums.

Dee

Reply to
Dee

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:31:26 +0000, Dee uttered like so:

I had actually already checked out the forums at

(which I guess is a different website thanthe URL you posted above) yesterday, after I posted my question here,and one of the replies I got said basically the same thing you justsaid. He elaborated that the problem is shared between the 2007Legacy Spec.B and the STi because they share the same "new" ECU. Can you elaborate what you mean when you say the ECU reflash doesn't really fix the problem? I read a few people post that they had a reflash done and it did fix the problem (though only temporarily for some people).

Reply to
Lothar of the Hill People

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 06:21:27 -0600, "Bill Bradley" uttered like so:

That sounds somewhat similar to what I'm experiencing, but I'd describe it more like a very quick stutter every time I try to accelerate hard. On my car though, I don't think it's a transmission issue. I have a 6-speed manual. Like the other poster said, it appears to be a poorly-programmed ECU. My dealer told me today that there is an ECU update available for this issue, so I'll try that out and see if it fixes it.

Reply to
Lothar of the Hill People

Lothar of the Hill People wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wrote that it doesn't really fix the problem because from reading the forums it seems that for the majority of the people the symptoms return. I'm not sure why that happens; perhaps it has something to do with the ECU "relearning" or reverting. There are a couple of people who say they've never experienced the hesitation/stuttering, but they are in the minority.

For me, the reflash smoothed things out for a couple of days, and then it reverted back.

A couple of things that work for me: keep the revs up and in the boost zone so that when you need the turbo it will respond immediately. Also, turn the A/C on - people are finding that this somehow reduces or eliminates the hesitation. This summer I have had the A/C on constantly and the car does seem to run better and smoother.

There is a poster on IWSTI who swears up and down he has never experienced the hesitation, but he lives in Miami, so you can imagine he's probably never driven the car without the A/C.

Dee

Reply to
Dee