'09 Impreza calls for 205/55R16 91V - is there a problem using 205/60R16 92V?

Went to VIP and ended up ordering 4 205/60R16 92V tires (Pirelli Cintruato P& A/S+). Got back home and can only find the 55R16 size recommended. Is there a problem going to 60R16?

Reply to
Wilson

AFAIK Not likely to be any problem beyond the speedometer error and speedos aren't all that dependable to begin with on most cars.

John McGaw

The only differences will be that the car will be moving a little further f or each tire rotation. This will make the car go faster, and as Wilson said , will throw off the speedometer calibration by a little. However, SAE dict ates that a speedometer can't read lower than actual speed, so automakers w ill typically have speedos read higher. You're just going to chip away a li ttle at that buffer, but the difference will be that you'll be going about

2 mph faster than the original tires at 60 mph. However, it's all in the no ise. Two different manufacturers might have different actual widths and dia meters to tires labeled the same size. I've had 195 width tires be wider th an 205s from another manufacturer.

And you'll find people that will say that the 60 won't corner as well as th e 55. Amongst the same tire, this may be true, but the difference in sidewa ll height is going to be minimal enough that rubber compound, carcass const ruction, and other factors can muddy that comparison enough that the 60 mig ht out perform the 55.

So I'd say that you have nothing to worry about... Pretty much.

Subarus require that the four wheels be the same diameter. If they aren't y ou can damage the differentials. So as long as all four tires are the same, you're good. You said you ordered four, but keep in mind that if you ever use your spare tire, and it is a different diameter, you risk causing damag e. I remember that spec being really small, like 1/4" of circumference diff erence. That's only a shade over 1/16" difference in diameter.

Bill

Reply to
weelliott

Thanks for the feedback to both of you.

The way it worked out was that VIP ordered the 60's (after telling me that they wouldn't be a problem) and then at the time of installation, they wanted to be sure that I wanted 60's instead of the recommended 55's. I think they were copping out, but I went with the 55's anyway just in case, as the mechanic said 'the 60's might contact the strut casing.'

Again, thanks for the help.

Reply to
Wilson