1.8L GL Engine Diagram

Does anyone have a layout or diagram of how the engine is put together on an 82 Subaru GL-10 with the 1.8L Front wheel drive engine?

Reply to
Cole

Cole, I think you might enjoy some help from the 'old school' Forum at

Lot's of help there for folks with older soobs, even some parts exchanges/locaters

Carl

Cole wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

You could get a copy of this great book by Larry Owens:

It appears to be out of print now, but there are some listed here (at a rather high price, it seems to me). I have a copy of this excellent book and I highly recommend it. John

Reply to
John A. Mason

It can be trying to fit one back together, especially if you didn't see it come apart; the factory manual devotes an entire section to dis/reassembly of the engine, it's not trivial. If you are just doin' it for grins, fine business; if you primary goal to get the car to run, I'd highly recommend finding an _intact_ EA-81 motor somewhere, and using that. All are basically the same, but there may be differences in the intake manifold and exhaust/air suction valve configuration. These differences are relatively easily dealt with by swapping parts around.

That said, here is a brief procedure for the engine:

Everything should be spotless. Unless the parts are clearly labeled as to where they came from, you will need to gauge every bearing set to insure proper clearance. Assemble rods to crank. Set the case half with the tapped holes on bench. Install beaning halfs, crank, cam, and seals. Install sealer, set other case half in place (should be a couple "locator" pins), install case bolts, and tork appropriately. One of the bolts requires a cap to be fitted as well. Install pistons, and fit wrist pin and clip thru access holes. Install plugs. Assemble cam gears, set valve timing, and locking tabs. Install rear case. Install lifters (a few had hydraulic lifters; most were solid, may say on valve cover), and push-rods. Assemble heads, and install. Set valve clearance. Install oil pan, oil pump, water pump, intake manifold, alternator/AC brackets, oil fill tube, alla the rest of the brackets, engine wiring, and carb. Install flywheel (use sealant on bolts), and clutch parts. Coolant is routed thru the intake manifold to the base of the carb; be sure to hook this up. Also, don't forget the EGR pipe.

I'm sure there are at least a dozen things I've omitted; having access to the factory manual will be helpful, but again, if you didn't see it come apart, you will likely experience several false starts before you get it right. (True even if you _did_ take it apart in my experience ;-)

ByeBye! S.

when i bought the car, the engine had been taken out and the long block had been rebuilt. i didnt see how the engine looked before it came out, and now i have to figure out how to put the engine back in with all the accesories. it looks pretty strait forward but does anyone have any pictures or anything else that would help me out? thanks.

Reply to
Cole