1 day old '05 Forester idle not steady

Hi, Just drove my brand spanking new '05 Forester home today. When I parked, before turning off the engine, I sat there just soaking it in. And I noticed that when idling, the idle has a pattern in which it goes up, then back down, then up, then back down. All by itself.

When idling I would think the idle should be steady. Any thoughts on this? Yes, I will be calling the dealer, but am looking to hear if anyone else has experienced this?

Thanks! Rogue Petunia

Reply to
<nospam

Curious, Is the AC switch on?

Reply to
schema

Or the defroster for that matter?

Reply to
Henry Paul

Hi Henry and Schema, That thought crossed my mind. I can't remember. I will drive the car again over the weekend and try to determine if there is a pattern - engine cold, or hot, AC on or not.

It's not likely the defroster was on. Unless by accident.

Other than this, I do love the car ;)

Thanks, Rogue Petunia

Reply to
Rogue Petunia

A/C or electric cooling fan. Normal.

Reply to
Clive

I would give it several hundred miles before pestering the dealer. The engine is very tight when new new and some run in time may change things as it did on mine. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I had a rough idle problem on my new GT. it was a bad batch of oxygen sensors. Once replaced, it idles perfectly smooth even with the AC and/or defroster on. As you would expect of a modern car.

Reply to
td

The idea is the A/C will cycle on and off and the A/C compressor will add resistance to the engine lowering your rpms. The defroster also uses the A/C intermittently to dehumidify the air.

Try with all of the environmental controls off and see if it persists.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Thanks to all for your replies. When I went to the car this morning I found that the AC button was on. So, yeah the AC had been running when I noticed the fluctuating idle on Thursday night.

And also, the more I think about it, I do recall several years back my '88 Subaru electric fan would kick on when parked after a long drive and the engine was hot. It would make a similar loud noise and noticable drop in rpms.

Thanks, Rogue Petunia

Reply to
Rogue Petunia

What brands of gas are you using? I have found definite differences in the way that 2004 Forester XT behaves. Gulf kills it, but loves Getty.

I keep very detailed gasoline consumption records, and approaching 20,000 mi there are some definite winners & losers. Poor gas mileage generally includes a rough idle & poor acceleration.

Reply to
Niels