12v power in center console is dead!!!

I have a 03' Subaru Outback Wagon

I was working out in the front 40 and didn't have a light to shine on what I was working on in the dark, so I took a Halogen 250w work light and plugged it into a 400w DC/AC inverter. Then plugged the inverter into the 12v power in the center console.

Turning things on in the right order I finally got the light to stay on... Well for about 5 minutes. then it Died. I thought I blew the fuse on the Inverters, though its fine. Then I thought I blew the fuse on the 12v power, that fuse is fine. I can plug things in the 12v power in the back and it works great.

What did I do to my 12v power in the center console?? How can I take it apart to check if I burned up the wire in the back?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Do the math....250 Watts at 120 Volts means the invertor draws about 130% to produce the power (70%) eff. YOu pulled about 300 watts at 12 volts. 12 X 25 AMPS = 300 Watts.

**DO NOT** connect these hungry power inverters to the "Lighter" sockets.I don't care what the MFGR says! They will not take it. I highly suspect you melted something. You got lucky! Something gave up the ghost instead of catching fire. If you use it a lot connect it directly to the battery with heavy cables and extend the 120Volts into the car. Leave engine idling. Most car batteries are about 65 Amp Hour rated. this means if you pull 25 amps for over 2 hours it wont start.
Reply to
Mortimer Schnurd

On some soobs, there is a fuse in-line with the socket in the console. That may be the problem.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The inverter is usually used for Camera Battery Chargers and a Laptop. I just needed a bit more light to fix my Address sign.

So how do I get in there to see what the Damage is?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Not the most likely, but maybe the easiest to check: shine a flashlight into the socket and see if the back part is melted. If so, you may have to replace the socket first.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee