1983 1800 drinking water

We have a 1983 1800 wagon which has done about 250,000 kms. Car starts reliably and drives ok *but* it is using a lot of water. Filled it up last week and it has used 2-3 litres in 5 days! I have spent hours searching for leaks (including using flouro dye) and cant find any....so I am wondering whether the problem is in the cylinder head(s) but when I do a compression test I get:

150,155,145,150 psi for the 4 cylinders.

Question: Is it possible to have a cylinder head leak that would use lots of water *without* having a noticable drop in compression? (when I have had head gaskets go in the past the car wont start and/or the compression drop is big).

Anyone seen this before? Needless to say I have checked the water pump (replaced 2 years ago) and it looks fine too.

If its the cylinder head how can I tell which one if the compression is good? Or do I just have to replace both anyway :(

Suggestions welcome. Al Blake, Australia

Reply to
Al Blake

Very likely you have a pinhole leak in one of the hoses. In this case the leak only leaks when the engine is hot and at above idle rpms. Replace the heater hoses and check all the hose clamps as a start. I don't think you have a head gasket problem.

Reply to
johninKY

Confirm the rad fans are working. Check appearances of the plugs, if one is noticeably different in appearance/texture - possible leak into that cyclinder. Have a shop pressure test the coolant system while examining for pinhole leaks. Test/replace radiator cap.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan