1986 Subaru GL distributor installation

Ok, can't get this bitch to fire up. The rotor spins, so the timing belt(s) are ok.

Could someone tell me:

1 - Which side of the engine is the number one cylinder on? And how are they ordered (I.E, is front left #1 like on Fords, and are they numbered front to back, or side to side?)

2 - Approx. where the hell is the #1 position on the distributor supposed to be (once it's installed?) 9 o'clock, 10 o'clock, 12?

Any tips / advice would be appreciated.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

If no one replies here - try the appropriate forum at

. Collectively, those guys are geniuses at keeping older soobs running!

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

If you are standing in front of the car looking at the engine, the #1 cylinder is at the front left (passenger side), #2 is front right, #3 is rear left, #4 is rear right. Probably so labeled on the block, but may be greased over . . .

I can't get a good visualization to come up; been too long . . . but . . .

I have an '85 GL/RX (EA82T, but ignition same as EA82) sitting under a foot of snow in the back yard. I'll dig it out and check for you tomorrow if you like. I have only a very rudimentary internet connection at home (telnet); email me directly so I'll have your address and I'll get back with you.

Quick tip for future reference, use a Sharpie to sketch the plug wire/distributor cap layout somewhere inside of the engine compartment _before_ you pull the wires loose. Saved me many times.

ByeBye! S.

Firing order is 1 3 2 4.

What I do is rotate the engine until the ignition timing marks on the flywheel are in view. I line up the pointer with 20 BTDC. Doesn't have to be very percise.

Then install the distributor with the rotor pointing at #1 terminal. Can't recall which way the rotor turns but I think it is CCW. Once you have determined which way the rotor turns install all the plug wires in the correct firring order.

You have only a 50/50 chance of being right going this route. If the engine dosen't fire, pull up on the distributor and rotate the engine one full revolution and drop the distributor back into place.

You'll learn you can rotate the distributor a bunch by hand when the mounting bolt is not installed. Helps to turn it in small increments will trying to start the engine the first time.

The bad thing about the Subaru distributor is the mounting tab. The distributor can be installed a tooth off and still be adjusted so the engine runs just fine but the mounting bolt can not be installed. The point is the distributor can only be installed one way.

Reply to
johninKY

Would those be little dimple looking things? Or the little white dot? (Not sure if the white dot was intended to be there, it's not terribly regularly shaped.) (There's like 3 dimples/holes, directly visible from the passenger side of the car through the 'window' on the bell housing, ) There is the stub pointing towards the flywheel, so which 'mark' do I line this SOB up with?

Yea, I know, done distributors before, but only on Fords / GMCs.... 'course, there was a bit more room to work with under the hood.

Exactly! That's what's kinda making this whole thing a PITA.

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown