1988 Subaru Running Hot

Hi folks, I bought a 1988 Subaru GL station wagon that runs hot during highway driving with the air conditioner running. The arm never hits the red mark, but comes pretty close. I just bought this car and it has 132k, I replaced the thermostat, the radiator cap, and had the cooling system flushed but it still registers the same reading. Is this normal for this type of car. Thanks Doug

Reply to
Doug

My 1985 Subaru GL Hatchback runs hot hot too at times. I been told that the water pump needs to be replaced but that was about 3 years ago---still have not replaced it. I suggest you remove the water pump and check it out!!

Reply to
Patrick Lee

The experienced owners of the 80's decade Subarus will tell you to eliminate the easy stuff first, and if nothing obvious (bad cap, fans not working, bad thermostat, obvious leaks, etc.), do not pass go, do not collect $200, replace the radiator. To delay that will eventually lead to gradually more overheating and you having to replace the heads (not cheap - BTDT).

It would be very unusual for the water pump itself to be the cause of the problem you are having on that vehicle.

Those radiators have very small tubes, and once they clog, flushing is almost never successful. Also, the radiator's external cooling fins corrode away and also get clogged with sand and bugs. You cannot correct the corroded fins, and if your time is worth anything, by the time you could hope to get a fraction of the bugs and sand out (and still only be marginally improved when you finished), you could put a very good aftermarket radiator in.

Check with

You should expect to pay around $105 to $150. Ask if they have a double-row to fit your car. That would be better than the standard single-row and worth the extra $10 or $15 of added cost.

Use only distilled water and recommended coolant, and change by a schedule according to the type of coolant to stretch the life of the new radiator.

Bill Putney

Hi, Doug

Please check Bill Putney's post and follow his advice, esp. about the two row core replacement! Something to add is IF the guys from

have a warehouse close to you, take your old radiator in and match it at the counter. Several radiators were used in the general time frame your car was built--some fit, some don't! (I went thru 3 on my '90) The guys at "my" warehouse were really great about getting the right one.

Also, it's best IMO to stick with the original green coolant on that car--there have been problems reported with the "long-life" orange coolants in some cars (leaks, as in mine, and clogs, as in complaints against GM.)

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Bill Putney is correct. Follow his advice. For the age and mileage of your car, 99% of the time overheating problems are due to the radiator. The definitive test is to take a ride on the throughway at about 55 mph and see where the temp gauge settles out to. Then increase your speed to 60, 65,

Reply to
Ed Rachner

Yep. Just came back from a little road trip with temps of 100+ and a/c running full blast. Reminded me of that bad day about 6-7 years ago when I had these symptoms. New radiator and gauge pegs only half way up. These cars are just like people, they all have the same bad habits. :) Think I paid about 200 bucks and did have to send the first one back (didn't fit). IIRC.

Mark

Reply to
pheasant