1990 Legacy (MT) Cruise Control Troubleshooting?

Hello:

I have a 1990 Legacy (Manual Trans), and the cruise control has suddenly stopped working. When I turn on the main dashboard suitch, I hear a click on the passenger side (relay?), but nothing happens when I use the switch on the steering column to activate it.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting ideas which will help me locate the problem?

Thanks,

James

Reply to
J. Kleimeyer

I'll be willing to bet money that it's the "pedal stop" on the clutch pedal. It's a little white nylon gizmo that presses into a hole near the top of the pedal arm and presses against a fixed switch when the pedal is not depressed. On mine, it failed after 50K miles or so (the switch just mangles the pedal stop). The replacements have been failing at an even greater rate, and I've finally just taped a penny in place of mine and it works fine.

I cannot explain it. Maybe a batch of pedal stops got mfg'ed from faulty (too soft) nylon ? I mean, my first one lasted a reasonable amount of time, but some of the replacements have lasted only a few months. Or maybe my clutch pdeal return spring is way too strong, but I haven't noticed anything weird except the pedal is kinda squeaky. Or maybe it's something about my driving style ?

Good luck, John

Reply to
John Eyles

John:

That possibility never crossed my mind. I will take a look at it in the morning. Thanks for the heads-up.

-James

Reply to
J. Kleimeyer