1991 Subaru Liberty comments?

I just bought a 1991 Subaru Liberty 2nd hand for AU$6400 from a dealer in australia. It is automatic, power steering, odometer 145,340 and the engine is about 2 litres.

Do you guys think this is a good buy or not?

Also, does anyone know what is the difference between Subaru Liberty GX and LX?

Reply to
wwewwf3000

Price sounds about right. Kms are relatively low for its age. Things to watch: If its still got airbag suspension, then *when* it dies replace with aftermarket conventional springs and shockers. Coz at $900 per strut the airbags arent worth it.

From memory GX it AWD, wheras LX was Two Wheel Drive. Oh, and when posting in news groups or message boards, the Liberty, is the Subaru Legacy in the USA, ...useful to post both names , make sure you get an answer :)

So, other than the suspension, they are a good reliable car. Especially the engine

i have a late 1990, GX, AWD Wagon, with 250,000kms on the odo.

cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Garth

Why would you post here after buying the car?

Perhaps posting here before hand would have have been more prudent.

The GX has more >

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Tony Burns

I own an '89 LegacyVZ in New Zealand. Price seems good for what you'd pay here in Perth Australia, but in NZ beieve it or not your car would go for $3500! In shopping for my '89 I drove several '91s and '92s. They were all generally in good shape, with many 'problems' in common.

-visors deteriorated so that they don't stay up

-steering wheel rubber grip is loose

-rear wiper and water pump don't work

-passenger electric window motor dying

-thermostat problems leading to blown radiators

So keep an eye out for these problems. Make sure timing belt was changed at 100,000km, keep an eye on the temperature gauge, watch for cracks developing on the non-radiator-cap side of the radiator, just below the overflow plug.

John

Reply to
john_newgard

Excellent...nice to know im in good company... Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes to all the problems :)

Reply to
Andrew Garth