1991 suburu legacy timing belt broken

belt broke,how to set timing marks from scratch tried 6 different positions won't start

Reply to
Rob

I had some trouble setting the timing belts on my Subaru too. The trick is to first set the first belt, and then turn the engine one rotation. The cam with the belt will be 180 degrees off the mark. You then align the mark on the other cam and install the belt. Make sure to check the timing by rotat ing the crankshaft a couple of times and checking the timing marks on the c am. Your proceedure might be different - my car was a 1985 GL wagon.

Reply to
dsi1

many people try to use the arrow/triangle on the front of the crank sprocket - don't. You use the dash/line on the tab at the back of the sprocket. When is lined-up with the line on the CPS boss, the arrow will be close to 3 O'Clock I think.

probably find some youtube videos or try some Google image searching?

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan