1995 impreza transmission removal

i am new to this usenet stuff, so i am sorry if i am posting in the wrong place. I want to remove my auto transmission from my 1995 impreza. it looks like it is in three pieces. the piece closes to the engine houses the front drive shafts, the middle looks like where the shifting takes place, and the rear looks like the output for the rear drive. since it was my reverse that was slipping and now totally gone. wanted to know if i could leave the front section in the car and only remove the center and back section in one piece. it would help if i could leave the whole front section with the drive shafts in-tact. any help would be a great help. Ron

Reply to
RCubbage

That front part is the differential. It can be separated from the transmission but you don't want to do this. Just removed the entire transaxle. There is an almost 100% certainty when you reinstall the transaxle you will break it because you don't know about fully seating that input shaft. Do some reinstalling Subaru transmissions research before you attempt this.

Reply to
johninKY

As johnny said, research it - please get at least one repair manual(Haynes, Chilton), check

and maybe
. If possible buy some beer and pizza for a buddy/neighbor that is a gearhead to help you.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1182303033.188066.276520 @q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Haven't been on here for a while.

Don't even think of trying to split the transmission sections on the car. While it may be technically possible trying to align things for reassembly will send you running screaming into the night long before you get it back together. :-)

The last time I pulled an impreza trans I discovered that I didn't have to do all the suspension disassembly to get the axels disconnected. If you knock out the roll pins holding the inner ends to the transmission stub shafts, then separate the transmission from the engine, there is enough travel in the axel joints to let you pull the trans back until you can shift it sideways slightly. Doing this lets you remove the axels from the stubs one at a time. When jacking the trans back into the car make sure you have the pin holes aligned properly. I just put a couple of bellhousing bolts in to hold things while I re-installed the axel roll pins in case I had to drop it back and shift the axel position.

Have fun. Joe

Reply to
Joe Kultgen