1995 Subaru

I have a 1995 Subaru Outback that has a very intermittent starting problem. The various times that it won't start have nothing in common. I have taken it to the Subaru dealer many times and they "repaired" it each time. So far the ignition switch, starter, and battery have been replaced, however the dealer has not been able to duplicate the problem. When it doesn't start, it doesn't click or show any sign that the engine is getting spark, the headlights, radio etc. work fine with full power to them and eventually in

20 minutes to an hour it usually starts.

Anyone out there have any similar problems. The car runs well, but we don't know when we will be stranded again in Albuquerque at 100 degrees for an hour waiting for the car to decide that it is ready to start.

Reply to
Stoney

On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 11:13:13 -0500, against all advice, something compelled Stoney , to say:

Starter relay?

Reply to
Steve Daniels

Anyone inspect the cable running from the battery down to the starter? Have seen a few that were badly corroded inside.

Another possibility is this car has to have some sort of safety switch that allows the engine to be started only when the transmission is in Park or the clutch depressed. I'd just go ahead and have it replaced.

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

yeah I was gonna suggest neutral safety switch too. next time it happens, jiggle the shifter (if automatic - dunno if '95s had a clutch safety switch)

I wouldn't rule out intermittent crank angle sensor - seems some soobs have had a problem with those. Is the CEL on?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote in news:x7fdk.13766$xZ.3227 @nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

I am stupid "The Check engine light does no come on when this problem occurs.

Reply to
Stoney

There is a retrofit campaign for your exact no start problem. Kit #22090-AA000 gets you both the crank and cam sensors for less than either one separately.

Reply to
Dave

My bad. I misread the symptoms. The campaign is for a crank-no-start condition.

In your case, check the connections under the steering column by unplugging them and looking for a heat damaged connection. There's one in particular that is where a security module would, or does, plug in that can cause an intermittent no-start like you're experiencing.

Reply to
Dave

Had a similar problem on a Toyota; turned out to be a long forgotten security system. Look for non-factory-looking wiring up under the dash, or in the console area.

ByeBye! S.