1995 Subaru Legacy Stereo

I'm going to be replacing a stereo for a friend for their 1995 Subaru Legacy, Sedan if that make a differnce, I was wondering if there was any special tool to get the stereo out or whether i need to take apart the dash or what. Any help would be great, thanks.

--Chris

Reply to
chris johnson via CarKB.com

Chris,

IIRC you need to remove the drink holder and the trim piece around the radio and vents. Then its four screws to remove the brackets that the radio is mounted to. Remove those brackets and install them on the new radio. Installation is the reverse of removal. You'd be wise to buy the wiring harness for that model so you dont need to cut the existing harness and mess with what wire is what. Makes a MUCH easier installation.

Reply to
John

I just did this on my 1998 Outback.

  1. remove cupholder

  1. Open console box. Just ahead of it, there are two screws that hold down the plastic cover for the brake handle. Remove these, pull up the cover.

  2. Then you can pull up the plastic cover for the gearshift. To remove it, you will need to pull the shifter back.

  1. Remove the two screws that hold the top of the ashtray to the trim (just inside top lip of ashtray).

  2. Now you can remove the trim from the stereo console. The cig lighter comes out with it, can be a little tricky to remove from its cutout.

  1. Radio is held in by 4 or 6 screws. If 6, the last two are about 3" inside of the enclosure. Magnetize your screwdriver well - you don't want to lose screws down the transmission tunnel.

  2. I second the advice to get the correct wiring harness to adapt the OEM plug to fit the one from the aftermarket stereo. Cutting the bundle of wires and trying to rewire another connector would be a nightmare.
Reply to
BobN