1996 Subaru OB- problem shifting while turning corners

My '96 OB seems to shift out of gear when making tight corners or crawling up a steep incline at only a few MPH. (e.g. turning right or left from a complete or near complete stop or driving up a steep driveway at 3 or 4 MPH). The transmission feels like it's kicking into neutral, then 1st, then back to neutral. The RPMs coincide, reving high when it seemingly drops out of gear. Sometimes I have to stomp on it to get it to engage properly, otherwise the car bucks badly.

This doesn't feel like transmission slippage because it's so abrupt and it doesn't happen when I'm going above 5 or 6 MPH (of course I don't make 90 degree turns at above that anyway). I've also tried to induce slippage at regular speeds by letting the car shift down while going up a steep hill and trying to put the trans under a bigger load- but no slippage.

Trans going south on me? Differentials shot? Computer problems? I'm lost. Any insight would be most appreciated :)

Reply to
michaelis73