1997 Outback Maintenance

Hey all, I recently purchased a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon. It has about

125,000 miles on it, and I have no idea what sort of maintenance has been performed prior to my purchase (with the exception of the used dealer who told me he got a new battery, changed the brake pads, and changed the air filter). I know very little about cars, but a good friend of mine knows quite a bit (as he cares for his Saturn weekly to keep it running). He suggested that we change the spark plugs and wires sometime next month when we have a break. Are there any other general preventitive maintenance things we should do?

There are only a few problems I can see with it so far. I think that it's going to need a new exhaust in the next few months (anyone know about much that will cost?). It's a little loud, and the mechanic mentioned the need as well.

Also, my rear wiper doesn't work (not a big deal, new motor? blown fuse?).

Once when I let the car warm up in the morning, the RPMs dropped and the engine sounded like it was going to shut off. It recovered though. Is that an indication of a problem? It only happened once...

The last thing is that I think the car got bumped on its front left side. When I pull up to a wall, I can see that my headlights aren't aligned. I opened up the hood and snapped the headlight back into place, which helped a little, but you can still see that the bumper is hanging slightly (you can move it if you lift on it). Is this something I should worry about?

I guess that's all. Let me mention again that I don't know cars very well (this is my first), so any help would really be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
thomashanno

get a new timing belt if you're not sure.

Stock exhaust will be a few hundred (500?)

We had a problem that (while in warranty) the motor went out (97 outback) we ignored it and eventually put a used motor in it -- works perfectly ever since.

Keep an eye on it -- if it happened once, probably nothing to worry about.

I would worry about it; but I worry...

If the car has been in a wreck; they may not have properly re-attached the airbag sensors.

I'd have it checked out by your favourite subaru mechanic; preferably not the the dealer.

Check out

-- Dan has some exhausts there, I think; maybe you can get a used one for cheap; but shipping might be a bit much.

Josh Assing

My friend had me look at my timing belt, and he told me what to look for (perpendicular cracks, if I remember correctly). I had never seen one before, but I didn't really notice any cracks or wear. I'll have him look at it when I go back to school next month, and if I end up going to mechanic, I'll have them look at it too.

As for a used motor, is my best bet to find a junkyard and look for another Outback?

Thank you very very much for the help.

Reply to
thomashanno

Oh yeah, also, would it be helpful for me to get a Carfax report for my car? I had heard that it might at least give me an idea of work/damage that had been done.

Reply to
thomashanno

Just my limited experience, and that isn't direct...

My son bought a '94 Acura and subscribed to Carfax to check it out. It showed nothing important, but the hood has no stickers on the underside and there were wrecking yard markings on several pieces of the body under the hood. He looked up my daughter's '93 Accord and the report may as well have been for a different car - it didn't match the trail of owners on the title and didn't list the repairs after it was stolen. The report even showed it had been a fleet car, which it definitely wasn't.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Absolutely change the timing belt. Not only are cars in that age range often sold before laying out the big bucks for a timing belt change, but the logic paints us into the corner. If you don't change the belt now, when will it be time? Change it now and start the timer for the next change - you can sleep better and will know when to change it next time... no guessing. BTW - most failed belts look okay when they suddenly shed some teeth and cast the engine's fate to the wind.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Josh Assing

unless he's a mechanic; take it to one & have it changed.

If you timing belt breaks; you will completely destroy the engine. It's due (for a 97 2.2 at 60K miles most people skip it)

Josh Assing

unless he's a mechanic; take it to one & have it changed.

If you timing belt breaks; you will completely destroy the engine. It's due (for a 97 2.2 at 60K miles most people skip it & pay for it later...)

Josh Assing

I think CarFax is worthless.

We pooled in to get a month's "subscription" -- after looking at cars that clearly had damage & carfax didn't show anything; we looked at cars we KNEW to be bad.

We looked up 3 past cars, 2 of which were "totaled" by the insurance company & 1 was a "salvage" title.

They call came up "clean"

Josh Assing

I agree.

It's amazing how many dealers advertise free CarFax reports on any car on the lot...

Reply to
Bonehenge