1998 Forester Audio Upgrade Info Please...

Hey All.....

This is my first post to this group.... and I am a new owner of a 98 Forester.... I am very happy with the car and am certainly a new fan of Subarus....

Anyway, my only caveat with the car is that the audio system sounds tinny and weak. I am a fan of refined and acurate audio systems, so the current setup is unnacceptable for me.

What setups are tried and true for the Forester? I am considering an Alpine deck with Infinity speakers.... But I want to know what others have done first.... I don't want to modify the interior of the car or anything.... I just want to use stock components that fit the existing mounts.

Thanks...

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Whitbread

Start with a head unit first, you might find that the system sounds better with a new unit. I have an Impreza and to change my front speakers I have to remove door panels. I am not sure what is involved with the Forester. Check out

they have a lot of info on mods and upgrades. Some really good photos of stereo upgrades too.

Henry

Reply to
oothlagre

I replaced the OEM in my 98 Forester with an Alpine for about 2 bills. While the sound is better, I still intend to do the speakers. Let me know how your new speakers sound. LT

------------------

Reply to
LT

Hi, Speakers is first to upgrade. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Agreed. I put Kenwoods in myself. It took less than an hour for 4 speakers. No mods necessary. I couldn't believe how much better it sounded.

Gerry

Reply to
thestick

Are the doors in the 98 Forester similart to the 04 Forester ? If so, was it easy to remove the speaker grills/doors ? Will I need shallow-mount speakers ?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Reply to
HJ

I have a 2001 S. Fronts are 6.5" rears are 4". The grills in the doors just pop off. Get them from the bottom (I think there may be a small finger groove) and give it a pull.

The Kenwoods are shallow speakers so I just had to screw them in. The sooby connectors to the speakers don't fit on the Kenwoods so I just cut them off and attached the wires to the speakers.

Go to Crutchfield.com and do the "What fits my car" section.

good luck

gerry

Reply to
thestick

I have a 2001 S. Fronts are 6.5" rears are 4".

The front door grills just pop off. Get them from the bottom (there might be a finger groove there) and give a pull. You might need a screw driver for the rears. The sooby connectors to the speakers didn't fit the Kenwoods, so I just cut them off and connected the speaker wire directly to the speakers. Otherwise no problems. There are water guards attached to the speakers within the doors covering the top of the speakers. Make sure they are covering the tops when you reinstall them. No use collecting water in the door. It's really very easy.

Go to Crutchfield.com and do the "What fits my car" section. Its a big help for model numbers. good lick gerry

Reply to
thestick