1998 Forester - poor acceleration....+ squeeling noise... Help!!

Hi all,

I remember recently seeing a thread here about a 1998 forester which was having acceleration issues between 1st and 2nd gear. I too am experiencing this problem, but I can not find the recent thread.

So... I'll recap the issue with my car:

When I first use the car in the day, or when it has been sitting for a number of hours, the car starts fine, and accelerates fine under first gear. Then, when shifting between 1st and 2nd, I have to really baby the clutch to keep the car from bucking (it's embarrassing, really). After cycling throught the gears once, the problem goes away until next time the car has been sitting unused for a few hours.

Also... I have a mild, consistent squeeling sound eminating from under the car, which goes away only when I depress the clutch pedal.... anyone else experience this phenomenon?

I have a basic understanding of car maintenance etc... but I lack the knowledge to properly diagnose these problems myself.

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Paul.

.