1998 Subaru Legacy Overheating

Ok I recently bought this car used at 91K miles. Now it has 92K miles.... I've had it for about a month. I'm driving down the road one day going about 60, when all of a sudden the check engine light comes on and the temp. gauge goes to max. So I stop the car, and I have lost all of my coolant out of the overflow. I stick some water in the car and get it home. I've replaced the thermostat, fan sensor, radiator cap. The radiator checks out fine and holds pressure on both lower and upper hose. Fans work fine. When I bought the car a new water pump and timing belt were placed on the car, so I'm going to get both replaced. The car just frankly acts funny, if you drive it 60-70 mph it will remain about at operating temperature. If you drive it about 45 or up a hill it will heat up. If this is a blown head gasket or a cracked block, I'm just going to throw some of that crap in it that blocks the leak / crack and drive the engine until it dies. Because a new engine costs as much as the repair. At least with a new engine I'll get a warranty. I am a little discouraged at this and am wondering if I should hold onto the car or not, after I get it repaired. Oh one more thing, there's a strange clicking noise comming from the left side of the engine .... it's only when you accelerate the car. This is begining to look more and more like a cracked block, cuz air would escape into the cooling system and create a vapor lock. So I'd lose my coolant... another strange thing. The car doesn't overheat AT ALL with water in the radiator?????????? I donno I'm thrown for a loop... I might just try replacing the temp gauge lol. Anyone ever used the crack block / blow head fix??? Does it work??

Reply to
tommyfullington

I would go to

and state you problem in one of the forums. Lots of experience there.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

You must make sure you 'burp' all the air out of the cooling system when refilling it(perhaps it wasn't burped well when the WP and TB work was done?). Put the heater on max, put the nose of the car up as high as safely possible (ramps, curbing, etc.) fill overflow bottle with coolant, confirm radiator cap is new/good, fill radiator, start car, run till fans engage, fill radiator (clean up spilled coolant - it is deadly to cats and dogs - really!) Drive car and monitor o'flow bottle - top off as required.

If the temps misbehave and you still get colant blasted outta the o'flow

- you have a bad headgasket. Combustion pressure wins against coolant pressure and an 'additive' is a waste of time and money.

You should prepare youself for a HG problem.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

blown head gasket...do a google search ..subaru blown head gasket...bring it back to where you bought it from.

Reply to
bj

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote: ....

While I agree with most of the procedure, I'm not so sure I'd recommend putting the car noise up. While I've done it that way, looking at the engine design, at least my 00 SOHC engine, the coolant exit the block mid-point between the front and rear cyls. Looks to me noise up guarantees air can be trapped at the front end of the engine.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

I think at least some of the concern is to increase the the likelihood of getting air out of the heater core.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan