1999 Forester Head Gasket Leak

I have been putting off the coolant additive recall on my 1999 Forester. It has 39,000 miles on it. I have been smelling anti-freeze around the driver side of the engine when I turn off the vehicle. I found one lose and slightly leaking top radiator hose that connects to the engine block. I tightened that one. So I figured there must be another leaking hose possibly at the bottom side of the radiator or engine connection - possibly leading to the anti-freeze smell.

Well I was wrong big time. Today I removed the engine splash protector and inspected the hose. It was dry. I then turned the light on the engine. Sure enough there is burnt anti-freeze toward the driver rear of the engine around the head gasket. Darn. Darn. Darn.

So am I in deep trouble now? Everything on my Forester has been great up until now. I have had no problems with anything (except a chattering clutch now and then).

I guess I had better get in and have that recall treatment taken care of. I looked on the date and it has been almost a year since it was mailed out. Shame on me. Can the treatment seal the leak - as it says it can seal some leaks?

What about the warranty? I live in Minneapolis, MN, USA. I have heard tough stories about Subarus and head gaskets. I suppose mine is out of warranty for sure? I am the original owner.

What are my options and can someone point me to a web site for any support and help? I have to admit I am not used to major items going wrong with cars. And I cannot really afford a big bill.

BTW, we like Foresters so much that we do have a 2004 Forester as the second in our fleet.

Thanks in advance for some well needed help.

-Jim

Reply to
Jim Knoll