2.2L engine question

I have a 96 Legacy with a 2.2L engine. It is getting old. I found a

98 2.2L engine and wanted to know how difficult it would be to install in my car. I'm told it's not easy but then again, it's a Subaru engine and should go in without having to change much, no? Please let me know.

Pete

Reply to
tabipapa

Well, I'm no expert on swaps but the car is the same, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I recently removed the engine from my '76 MGB, and it isn't that difficult. You just have to mark everything (wires, hoses, etc) and take a lot of pictures!

Dan D '99 Impreza RS2.5 (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Check that each and every engine sensor is the same so that you can use the same harness. If you CAN use the same harness, it won't be too hard. If you have to replace the harness as well, you'll be sorry you even tried . . probably. Talk to a Subaru dealer/mechanic FWIW Dave downunder

Reply to
vwq47

Engine will fit, no problem. Best advice re. the sensors is to swap intake manifolds with the original. Potential problem is with the exhaust "Y" pipe; '96 saw some changes, and might have single port vs dual port (Or vice versa? I forget.) head. Check to see if header has one or two tubes where it connects to the head. If the newer engine doesn't match, you can probably talk the engine supplier into also selling you a matching "Y" pipe. Technically, they aren't supposed to, as it has one of the systems CAT's (emission regulations don't ya know), but if you ask politely, (and ask for an "exhaust pipe", rather than a CAT), they probably will. They will also want your old one as an exchange; the Platinum in the CAT is worth a fair penny these days. You might _also_ need the piece of wiring that goes between the engine connector block, and the second O2 sensor (crosses the top of the tranny); IIRC they are in different places, older vs newer cars. If you get the extension, it'll be a plug -n- play swap, otherwise you'll have to splice. Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S.