2.5L Engine and Gasket Problems

years or phase I or phase

way to the upper tank

car up on ramps which

normal operation after

my overflow tube after

will continue week

This steady stream of bubbles is regarded by many as a sign of an internaly leaking head gasket (leak is between one of the cylinders and coolant system. The fact that, in your case, this has been occuring for years is sign either that it's not a leaking head gasket or that the leak is minor and not expanding for the time being. Sure thing though, air or gases are entering your cooling system somewhere. Does the cold level of coolant in your overflow tank stable or does it slowly rise day after day?

Reply to
Gilles Gour

It's either that or there's a steady "slow-boil" happening, problem is I don't know which. It drives me nuts not knowing. Coolant mix is 50/50, system builds pressure, and I've tried swapping in a fresh rad-cap just for the hell of it, made no differance.

The intensity of the bubbles is related to how hard the engine gets pushed, meaning I can build more bubbling by running at larger throttle openings, at higher RPM, on hotter days (all three contribute).

Other than the normal variance in level between a fully cold engine and a fully hot engine (couple inches), the level stays steady. I've been getting a bit more black flakey stuff floating in the overflow however.

Reply to
Danny Russell

At one time, didn't Subaru use a flow direction opposite of most other vehicles? Does the coolant now return to the engine from the bottom of the radiator? If not, it would seem quite easy for the coolant to 'gulp' a bubble from any head space in the radiator and possibly pull it into the engine. maybe the radiator could be 'cross plumbed' if it flows wrongly.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Mickey wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

know which. It

I've tried swapping

meaning I can build more

(all three

fully hot engine (couple

stuff floating in the

I have no first hand experience with blown head gaskets, but your symptoms and specialy the «black flakey stuff floating in the overflow» point to such a problem. Taking into account what I've read and heard numerous times, I think you should have a mecanic test your coolant to determine if exhaust gas is being pressure fed into your cooling system. I think that if you replace gaskets early, it's just that, but if engine overheats too much, this could mean warped or cracked heads or even block. Good luck!

Reply to
Gilles Gour

stuff > floating in the overflow however.

Danny,

I'm with Gilles on the idea of having coolant tested for exhaust gases. My EA-82 engine's had a slight seepage from the head gaskets for years, and doesn't use a drop of coolant (to speak of!) during the summer, but during the winter, when things get a chance to cool and contract, I have to add coolant at least every week. I have to do a compression check to be sure, but my first guess is the gasket's not fully blown, but things aren't tight enough in the engine to keep it well sealed. But at 356k miles, I suppose it's entitled to its oddities.

So you could have a tiny leak, not enough to cause major problems, but it's still there.

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Thanks Gilles and Rick. I'm just delaying the inevitable. I purchased a second car ('00 OBS 2.2) in preparation for dealing with it. The irony is that the 2.2 bubbles as well, no black flakes though.

Reply to
Danny Russell

replying to mutant_dan, Rick russell wrote: Hi. No cluevwhat is a " swirl pot" . or why there needs to be a hose off the fitting to the swirl pot. ??

Reply to
Rick russell

replying to The_Big_Muddy, Rick russell wrote: We have a 2002 impreza outback 2.5L. Worst engine ever. At 140k miles.The mech ripped us. Fail fail. Thousands$$$. After a 2nd complete engine tear down it still over heated. Then $500 more to a clown certy fied mech and still over heated. I drilled out the thermustat to allow the air pockets to flow threw and it stoped over heating. Now it wont warm up. F**k you subaru. F**k f**k u. We are in process of a crossover pipe bleeder tap air release valve. Dump these f***ing shit boxs.

Reply to
Rick russell