2.5L Engine Question

Does anyone know or know of where I can find when Subaru phase two and phase 3 engines were built. This has to do with head gasket leaks.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Reply to
What's Next

About all I can add is that I have a very late '99 outback with said engine and *didn't* get the coolant conditioner fix.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I found the information -

The above link gives the exact VIN's affected.

Thanks -

Reply to
What's Next

This raises a big question. Many, many people have posted messages here about the infamous leaking head gasket in 2.5L engines in the 1999 LEGACY/OUTBACK. The info you provided indicates that the 1999 Legacy/Outback does not have the defective head gasket. Were people wrong on this or is there another endwrench.com advisory covering the

1999 Legacy/Outback.

Thoughts anyone? I have a 1999 Outback wagon w/ a 2.5L and, as yet, no headgasket problem, but it weighs on my mind.

-LK

Reply to
lkreh

Mine is a '99 Legacy Outback with said engine as well. 120k miles and no problem.

To put the situation in perspective, my neighbor runs an independent service shop for Audi, BMW and Subaru's. The town is full of Subaru's and he's never seen the infamous 2.5l headgasket problem.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That's good to hear. We're now at 120,000 miles with no problem, but I worry about it. The car is in mint condition and paid for, and I'd hate to see it go over a really expensive engine repair.

Reply to
lkreh

Agreed.

Check the coolant level with each fillup and make sure the system gets "burped" properly if the overflow ever goes empty.

Even if I had to spend $2000 for a head gasket job, it would still be worth it considering the low cost of ownership to date.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The 2.5L PHASE I engines had INTERNAL head gasket leaks which Subaru still denies is an issue and quietly tries to resolve, but you still pay $$$$ to fix The 2.5L PHASE II engines have an EXTERNAL leak issue which Subaru has addressed with their conditioner.

I'm sorry to break it to you but of the two, the PHASE I head gasket leak is much worse as the mixing of coolant in the oil is very bad for the engine. Btw oil in the coolant/coolant in the oil/overheating/no lubrication, the engine can permanently ruined. The PHASE II leak is only coolant and typically wont overheat if the coolant level is topped off.

Reply to
John

How does Subaru "quietly try to resolve" the internal head gasket leak in the Phase I engine? Is Subaru offering accomodation for this?

Reply to
lkreh
98 OBW, 242,000 miles and no head gasket issues.
Reply to
BobN

these engines were built by the lowest bidder, subaru sacrificed quality for profits. if subaru was an american company they'd be bankrupt right now. all they have going for them is that they're a japanese company. (japs have a good reliability reputation) ... thats my 2 cents.

Ps. if u own one, sell it. if you're thinking about buying one: make sure u have thousands of dollars in the bank for repairs.

Reply to
glasceus

You could say that about any make. Honda and Volvo have had quality control problems in the last decade or so... nothing widespread, but enough that you should have money for repairs if you are going to own one. Honda had the auto tranny debacle that may or may not be resolved. Volvo has extended the warranty on the Throttle Control Module they use in recent models because of an impending class action suit regarding the $1000 US repair costs that were hitting nearly 100% of owners in the first 100K miles. Saab has had head gasket problems that makes the Subie DOHC problems look like whining (my motorhead brother tells me the #2 and #3 cylinders are too close together). The Nissan I traded away had electrical problems I couldn't keep up with. I had a Mitsubishi for a while, and I don't know where to start with that one. And those are only the non-US makes I'm familiar with. Don't get me started on Ford, GM, or Chrysler. You want maybe a Fiat or Peugeot?

I know you have a prejudice against Subarus - I've seen the list of complaints, valid or otherwise - but what sort of alternative are you recommending? And why are you here? If somebody needs AWD you can leave out all the 2WDs.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Hey glasceus: You have sold your Subaru, or so you said. It's time for you to unsubscribe from this group. You were ignorant about cars in general and Subarus specifically when you first showed up here, you learned nothing because you didn't listen to the advice you sought, and you're still ignorant. But as a non-owner, you are now also irrelevant. And your attitude is obnoxious. Don't go away mad, just go away.

Reply to
BobN

ok. i will leave this group if i'm not wanted here. my main reason for staying was to save others from the heartache i went through with my subaru. (i just got a spill free funnel in the mail i ordered before i sold it!!) , trust me, in less than 2 months i spent over 500 bucks chasing down solutions from cheap windshields, noisy ac fan, to water sounds behind the dash. subaru let me down bigtime. and i will never ever ever ever buy another one. its a cheap looking piece of garbage. gm cars may be garbage but at least they dont look cheap and flimsy. thats my 2 cents. goodbye and goodluck

Reply to
glasceus

The problem is that you don't offer any recommendations. What you describe is legion in every auto group; you had a bad experience and assume the average Subaru owner will have as much trouble and that other car owners will not. Believe me, if the average Nissan owner had as much trouble as I had with mine, or the average Dodge owner in that case, nobody would ever buy Nissan or Dodge. My younger son could tell you horror stories about Fords that make your experience with Subarus pale by comparison (who would put a 6 inch clutch on a 2.4L engine?!?!?!). Cars are naturally troublesome beasts, and some more than others. But there are reasons so many people here like their Soobs.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

i've researched this argument for a few dozen hours...the 2.2 engine was a great engine..the early 2.5l engine is a great engine except for the internal head gasket issue. Subie has never owned up to the problem on the early 2.5's. The later

2.5's did have an external leak and subie has a cheap fix additive and warranty to 100K, but they've always passed the problem off as head gaskets and thus, tarnished the great subaru reputation for reliability. They make a great car, it's a shame, in this instance they dropped the ball. With a little caution you may still get 300k on your road rocket.

I read some german study that the HD problems were 16% of the early

2.5. This may be true, but i believe changing the antifreeze and leaving air in the engine is the problem...and why, after the car is out of warranty and someone goes to the local quicklube for an antifreeze change the problems begin to occur..they'll fill the radiator..wait for the thermstat to open and send you out the door....big mistake...so i suggest...don't change the antifreeze or be very careful and get ALL the air out. Do a search, i've seen a few sites which discuss burping and caution in fluid change.

as a footnote, i read online about an aircraft enthusiast who used the subie 2.5 in his light plane..he tested the engine backwards and forewards..a great engine but get the air out...he found ,just normally changing the antifreeze left about a cup of air inside and thus, creating a hotspot in the head...

Reply to
bj

I have a 03 Impreza outback sport. I've had the clutch replaced last year due to shudder, no problem since. Last November, I had two pistons replaced after complaining of engine knocking noise. No hassle from dealer. Three months later, engine started to knock again, the car is scheduled for engine block replacement (or something like that) in the first week of April. It's not a perfect car but I enjoy the ride, especially in snowy conditions and the service is excellent. (Subaru Outaouais in Gatineau) I used to own a 99 Forester that had the check engine and head gasket problems. Bob "bj" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Robert

I assume you're blowing hot air with this?

Reply to
lkreh