2 flats in a week, sidewall damage, huh?

I recently got a new set of Cooper CS4 touring tires for my Outback Sport which (the tires) got rave reviews. 91H rated. I indeed like them a lot for handling in the rain and snow, very smooth ride, etc.

Even more recently, I moved to a city (San Fran) which requires a lot of curbing in everyday parking. A week ago hit a curb at ~10 mph making a right turn and literally got a piece the size of an orange ripped off the right front tire's sidewall (the impact was, to the best of my understanding, minimal, I've had way worse hits at higher speeds with no consequences). A few days later - another flat, again, a piece of rubber ripped off from the sidewall, and this time I don't even recall doing anything wrong, just normal wear and tear during parallel parking. Before, with old Yokohamas, I've driven off-road in Seath Valley, got stuck on sharp rocks and gravel with no impact on tires at all (ruined the tranny, but that's different :) ).

I already ordered 2 matching Coppers to be shaved to match the thread OD. But now I am thinking if there is something wrong with that tire design? Can some tires be more sensitive to curbing? Or that batch batch of tires is bad?

At this point I am considering just ordering a set of the fattest rubber tires in 205/55/16, just the heaviest duty set available for that diameter and width. Handling and smoothness is all good, but durability is more important at this point.

Reply to
runcyclexcski

Maybe things are different on the west coast, but here in DC, when we parallel park, we don't rub our tires on the curb. 'Curbing', as you call it, is usually thought of as a sign of bad technique. I know attitudes are different everywhere, so maybe it is common practice there to try to squeeze every last inch out of roadway space, whereas here as long as you are within a foot, you're good.

I'd suggest trying not to hit curbs at any speed. If you're not having luck with that, then perhaps take a high performance driving course to learn basic car control.

To me this is like complaining that your car has dents in it because you keep driving into things, then justifying it by saying that when you drove into things in your old work truck it didn't dent, so it must be a defective car.

Bill

Reply to
weelliott

I just realized what you mean by curbing when I realized that you said San Fran and not San Diego, which is much much flatter. You must mean when you turn your wheels, then let the front wheels roll into the curb in order to hold the car on a steep hill. When you do that, turn the wheel all the way so it is more the tread than the sidewall hitting, and ease the car into the curb instead of letting it hit with force. I do this by getting the car close, then stopping completely, then letting off the brake slightly to let the car slowly crawl into the curb. Don't use the rear wheels since you will be forced to use the sidewalls. Only use the tread of the front wheels.

Reply to
weelliott

Well, I see you point. I thought I was an OK driver, at least with parking. I certainly have seen worse... and I never expected that everyday parallel parking can ruin one's tires in a matter of weeks. In SF parking is indeed more involved than on flatland, like, parallel parking at a 25% hill which I have to do every other day,

Reply to
runcyclexcski

I do hit curbs from time to time with my own car ('00 OB full-size). I've owned this car for 4 years, and "my butt hasn't grown out to the fenders" like it did with the little Bronco II it replaced.

Wanna have fun? Park a Hummer H1 or HMMV. I've done that on both civilian and military versions. It's like you are sitting in an 8-foot wide bathtub.

But I can agree with the hill-parking and such. Seattle isn't as hilly as SanFran, but we do have some fun places to park.

I drive a Chev full-size van at work. They "unofficially" let us park "unconventionally", so I jump-park over the curb all the time if needed to get to a jobsite. That saves on sidewall blowouts.

But the fubared sidewalls shouldn't be happening that fast. I can't remember the brand/model tires I've seen with heavy "curb guards", but I know they exist.

What's your tire size now? If you could put up with the limitations, there may be a "LT" (light truck) answer. There's a fairly decent selection of 15" and 16" sizes, but height may be a problem. You might have to "drop an inch" in rim size to stay in the outside diameter for clearance.

Reply to
nobody >

Reply to
Big Jim

I'm assuming they are shaving them to get all four tires to the same diameter, which is helpful in preserving the center differential.

Reply to
weelliott

Yes. But at this point I doubt if it makes that big of a difference.

Reply to
runcyclexcski