2000 Legacy Wagon Coolant Problem

When the engine is cool is the coolant supposed to be up to the level of the radiator cap? My radiator seems to transfer about a cup of coolant into the overflow every time I drive the car but it is never gets sucked back into the radiator when cool.

When the engine is cool again, I remove the radiator cap and fill the radiator up to the top. I even make sure I squeeze the top hose to get the bubbles out. I know it sounds like there is is a bubble in the system, but I have done this at least 10 times.

Reply to
Pete2000

Hope for a bad radiator cap. next, try parking on a severe inclune or run front wheels up on ramps.Put climate control in highest heat setting. Start and run till hot, check coolant level, allow to cool, repeat and confirm coolant level. if the above do not help the condition, check for exhaust gasses in coolant system(bad headgasket)

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Pete2000 wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I think I have done all that (incl. new cap). What do gases in the coolant system look like? I know that after I turn off my car, I look into the overflow container and I see air bubbles coming from the radiator bubbling inside the overflow.

Would the car drive any different if the head gasket had a leak? Car drives great. Would coolant leak out of the head gasket onto the hot block, or does air just leak in?

Reply to
Pete2000

At best and most probable you have a bad rad cap. Replace that first, it's cheap. Also check the small diam hose that go from the rad to the overflow reservoir. It might be craked somewhere. At worst you have a leaking head gasket.

Reply to
Gilles Gour

A small leak from combustuion chamber to coolant jacket may not affect the engine enough to notice. Sometimes comparing spark plugs will help identify which cylinder is involved(it's the cleanest one). I have heard of, but not used, a test strip of some type that can detect combustion by-products in the coolant. Sometimes observing in the radiator itself, not the o'flow bottle, will show gas bubbles while idling. A 'sniffer' such as is used for emissions testing can sometimes detect exhaust gasses from a radiator.

good luck!

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Pete2000 wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'm afraid those bubbles in the overflow reservoir are a symptom of a head gasket failure. Combustion gases get into the coolant. This is phase one. Later the leak will be enough for the exhaust gas to push the coolant out of the rad thru the overflow reservoir. Dont delay in having this diagnosed for sure cause overheating could desroy heads and even block. Good luck!

Reply to
Gilles Gour

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Based on everyone's input, I suspected a head gasket leak. Took it to the dealer this AM. Suspicions were correct. Dealer is repairing under RECALL warranty.

Reply to
Pete2000