2000 Legacy Wagon Head Gasket/Buying Advice

Well, I've been pleased enough with our 05 OBW that I'm considering a

2000 Legacy Wagon with 113k on it. Current owner bought from dealer as trade in at 85k from the original owner. The new owner has had it only 1.5 years, and he told me it had the head gasket replaced under a recall after he bought it. This may be the WWP-99 program. I called the dealer service department about the issue, and I was told that it was really an extended warranty program that had resulted from enough customer complaints that Subaru was replacing the HG on qualifying cars with less than 100k miles or 8 years old. I asked him what made the cars qualifying, and he said they had to have a leaking HG. When I asked about possible damage caused by driving the car with a leaking HG before the warranty repair, he said it wouldn't damage the car since it was an external leak. I'm looking at the repair as possibly a plus, since the car should now be good for another 100k, but that all depends on how well the new HG holds up. Any experience with this repair and its aftereffects? I am a little suspicious that the dealer may have just added the "conditioner" that I've read about in other posts. Any advice?

Thanks, GRAydelotte

Reply to
grahighlander