2000 OBW: Bad signal light relay?

I've noticed lately SOMETIMES my left turn signal does not work. I just hear a quickly clicky sound, like the turn signal but faster. This seems to happen more when the car is cold and usually if I just turn if signal off and then back on again, it works the second time. When things are working, both the front and back signal lamps work. Is this likely a bad relay and if so, is this something easy to change myself?? where? how?

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim

The next time this happens, get out the car a verify which light is not flashing. Then replace that bulb. The clicking you hear at twice normal speed indicates only one light is flashing.

Reply to
johninKY

I've done this. Neither light flashes when its doing the fast clicking, both lights light up when its working right. It doesn't seem like the bulbs since they both light up. That's why I suspect a relay or something though I really don't konw whats in the circuit.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

The fast clicking tells me the flasher unit is working, which tells me you have power headed to the bulbs. I still think you have a bulb problem, Try removing them, cleaning the contacts, and reinstall them. Other possible that comes to mind is the ground wire contact isn't doing its job.

Could throw a test light on the circuit at the bulb to verify if power is reaching the bulb.

Reply to
johninKY