2000 OBW Brake System

I have a 2000 OBW with 100k miles.

There is an issue that has been going on for a while with the brakes, but I can't quite decipher what is happening.

There are two symptoms that might be related or might not.

Low Speed / Light on the brake pedal, there is a definite sound of grinding, springs creaking, and other disconcerting noises. There also seems to be some rotor warpage possibly because the grinding is on and off as the tire rotates and a high or low spot seems to be hit on the rotor.

High speed / heavier braking produces a bit of a shake in the steering wheel. This would agree with the possibility of some warping in the rotors.

Braking in between those two limits is OK. The noises at the lower speeds are most disconcerting to my daily driving.

I would like to try and get some idea what is going on before bringing it in for service.

Any ever encountered anything similar?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David Patnaude

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:23:47 +0000 (UTC), against all advice, something compelled David Patnaude , to say:

Are the calipers frozen? They need to be able to slide back and forth over the disk. If they can't, they'll shake and make funny noises.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

How many miles on the current set of pads? Is the brake fluid reservoir very close to the 'minimum' level?

In addition to checking for a frozen caliper(which could lead to premature wear on the inner pad), I suspect from the description you could very well have 'cementite' or other deposits on the rotor (warped rotor). If so, the 'best' thing would be to replace them. if funds are tight, they might be resurfaced but many people experince 'warping' soon after anyway.

good reading on 'warped' rotors;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan