2000 Outback "loud" following LOF

I recently took my 2000 Outback in for an oil and air filter change. After getting it back, I noticed that the engine was quite a bit louder- but only when "flooring" the engine while in gear (4th gear?). Once the engine shifts back down (cruising), it sounds fine. The noise is basically just a very low (as in bass) "loudness" either from the engine or the exhaust system.

When I took the car back to the mechanic, he explained that it was probably the new air filter, since the old was was well clogged up with dirt (not surprising given the climate here in El Paso) and now with the clean one, I was getting increased airflow. I accepted this reasoning at the time, but am questioning it again.

I've also noticed quite a bit more dust than usual is making its way into the cabin from the fan/heater...

Could this condition possibly result from a *missing* air filter, or perhaps the wrong sized air filter, or as the mechanic suggested, it is just normal?

Note that the engine does not make the noise when being "floored" in neutral.

Any thoughts on what this could be, and perhaps what I should do next? I'd hate to bring it to a mechanic if it is something completely benign.

Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Hardiman

Was this at a Subaru dealership? Your regular mechanic? Occasionally folks, even mechanics, make mistakes when it come to all the fluids in a Subaru. I would definitely double check ALL fluid levels in case he removed fluid from the diff or something. Also, it is possible the replacement filter either doesn't fit well, or is a brand that has a different pleat #/config. Other things could've happened when it was up on the lift, maybe an exhaust connection is leaking. Once you 'get his attention' he'll probably find something.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Mike Hardiman wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It sounds to me like the box that holds the air filter was not closed properly. Assuming it's the same as the one on my 01 Impreza, you have to make sure the bottom is latched before you close the clamps on the top. Usually the only way to get it right is to take out one of the bolts that secures the box.

-- Larry Weil Lake Wobegone, NH

Reply to
Larry Weil

Finally, something I can probably help with.

Sounds EXACTLY like the sound I had when I replaced my air filter. Ultimately the problem was that the air filter box was not put back in properly - and it's a bit trickier than you might think. I'm not surprised that a mechanic might get it wrong (although someone who knows Subaru's probably shouldn't)

The problem - I bet that the 'lower' wedges on the filter box are not clipped on. When this happens the box vibrates at high revs, making a very low sub-woofing sound.

Reply to
SpurryMoses

Wow, this sounds like it could be it. Another way to describe the noise is it sounds like I have a "performance" muffler on tha car.

I'll check this out tomorrow morning once it is light outside.

Thanks,

-Mike

Mike Hardiman

Sure enough, that was exactly the problem. I had to completely remove the air filter housing in order to get the two pieces to clip together. The air filter's rubber frame was about 1mm too wide, so when you stuck the wedges on the bottom into the slots, it wouldn't seal at the top (the rubber would bulge out)... After taking the whole thing out, I was able to use my fingers to squeeze the rubber frame back in and finally get the thing to close together.

Now... the car sounds absolutely fine! What a difference!! From now on, I'll be changing my own air filter!

Thanks for the help!

-Mike

Mike Hardiman

Now you should go back to the original mechanic, when his service counter or waiting room is full, and give him some grief. . Doing it wrong the first place is dumb, but perhaps excusable. When a customer has to bring a car back, and THEN the "pro" mechanic doesn't find something as obvious as this, strong negative feedback (at best) is appropriate.

No first-rate mechanic I've dealt with could miss something like this when they restart the engine after the filter is changed. They would be VERY concerned about a customer having to return because of a perceived problem. Even if some distraction allowed the car to go out wrong, it should have been fixed on your first return.

Give the mechanic some polite negative feedback and their response will let you know if this was an isolated instance or proof of fast-buck attitudes.

Reply to
RS191

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Well, it wasn't a Subaru dealer, and Subarus, frankly aren't a very popular car in this town. The mechanic was a Firestone place, and I had a coupon for a $15.00 oil change.

This whole thing has me wondering if I should trust the place even with the oil change, but it is a good price. (Perhaps you get what you pay for though!)

Midas is reasonably priced as well, but everywhere else seems to think an oil change is worth $40. (US dollars, that it).

The air filter, however, will be changed only by me from now on, and I'll be sure to forbid any mechanic from opening that case up to check it out!

-Mike

writer/manager

Reply to
Mike Hardiman

I had the same sound problem after changing the air filter about 6 weeks ago. Checked and reinstalled the air filter yesterday, under your guidelines, and now problem solved.

Thanks for the info.....bg

bg