2000 Subaru GT Sedan

Just got my 2kGT back from the shop. Yesterday it overheated. Apparently, both my head gaskets are leaking. The dealer said it's covered by a recall and the fix is to add something to the coolant. This will seal the heads from the inside. This sounds awefully weak to me. Has anyone had this done and did it work?

Reply to
Jim85CJ

I had the identical experience with my dealer here in Kirkland, WA. My 2K outback had 58K miles on it at that time. Now it has 60 K...That was 2 months ago and it actually has stopped leaking. Since I change my own oil, Etc., he said for me to keep an eye on it. I think he expected it to need gaskets before the 100K recall warrentee expires. Nobody's holding their breath on this one....Jim

Reply to
Jim Lofgren

I have a 2000 forester. Mine was bad enough they had to replace the head gasket. I had about 59980 miles at the time.

I had a new neighbor stop by the house last weekend. He was contemplating buying a forester. He wanted to know how the repairs had been. By the time I went through my list, I guess he wasn't impressed at all. I've had two CO censors replaced, three wheel bearings, head gaskets, and somekind of failed transmission sensor. Also on my 5th windshield. This is the most expensive vehicle for repairs I've owned.

Reply to
frumpy

I have a 1997 Legacy L wagon. Replaced alternator within 3000 miles and the next repair was 122,000 miles later (it was actually a part that had to be cleaned). Now has 130,000 on it and runs great. replacing it with a Honda Pilot for the room (whose idea was it to build a SUV on the imprezza frame???)

The 2000 GT Sedan has 77,000 > I have a 2000 forester. Mine was bad enough they had to replace the head

Reply to
Jim85CJ

You've never owned an Audi V8 Quattro...

- Greg Reed

Reply to
Ignignokt