2001 FORESTER CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

My "check engine light" seems to appear on my dashboard for no aparent reason. I bring it into the dealer who turns it off. They give me no legitimate reason for it. Is there a way for me to turn off the light myself? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Reply to
JBJ

The dealer should be doing more than turning off the light. There will be one or more stored trouble codes when the light comes on, those codes must be read to indicate where the problem may be, and the proper troubleshooting procedures followed to correct it. Just turning the light off by clearing the code does not fix anything. If there is an Autozone near you they will read the code for free, at least in states other than CA. Take it there next time the light comes on. Get the specific code(s) in Pxxxx format and post them here so we can help you further. Without the exact code any replies here are pure speculation as there are literally hundreds of different codes that can be set. You can also purchase a scanner/code reader and do this yourself.

Reply to
mulder