2001 Forester -- lousy window gaskets?

We've loved our '01 Forester S since we bought it, but we've always been a bit disappointed at the noise. It's not a quiet car.

One of the more annoying parts of the noise is the wind noise. More than once I've checked the windows because I was sure they weren't closed all the way -- but they were. Anyone else have this problem? Will new gaskets fix it, or is that just the way the windows are?

Reply to
Rich Carreiro

Try lowering the offending windows an inch or so when the doors are closed. Then close them again. When I do that in my WRX, the noise all but disappears. It's annoying as I have to redo it every time the door is opened, but it works. When the driver window in my car is _all_ the way up, it makes noise until I do this. If it's down by a millimeter it's very quiet - and it still seals out water, even during a car wash.

If it still makes noise (or even if the temp fix works), you might try bolstering the existing gaskets with something solid but pliable. Find out where in the gasket the air leak is coming from and put in a shim or silicone between the folds of the gasket (and not touching the glass!).

I'd say replacing the gaskets would be a last resort unless there is a cut in them.

Reply to
Byron

I agree with this "workaround". I guess it has to do with the frameless design.

Ben

02' Forester

Reply to
Cixcos

I don't know if the Forester has the same adjustment options as the Impreza, but my car has adjustments you can make inside the door to increase the tension of the glass against the door seal to remove wind noise and leakage.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I've had the same problem with both my Subarus - a '92 Legacy and my current '01 Forester. I stopped by the dealer once to discuss this issue and one of the technicians told me that the problem was caused by the sideview mirrors. He adjusted the mirror and the whistling was under control. However, the "fix" didn't last for long.

The "whistling windows" is the ONLY real complaint I've ever had with my Subarus; I find it most annoying. I wrote to Subaru Canada about it... twice... they must have lost my return address! :)

Yolande

Reply to
Yolande

IME there's always some wind noise from the frameless glass BUT pop one of the front door trims and have a play with the two little slide adjusters at the top of the door panel that tension the glass in or out. Just don't get over enthusuatic, totally remove the stay bolts and drop one down inside the door .... Who, me? It may not help, but if you've got a spare half hour a side or so. Make sure you check that all the little teminal blocks are reconnected BEFORE putting everything back together; that way, the windows and mirrors work MUCH better. Cheers

Reply to
hippo