2001 H6 Subaru Outback Wagon auto transmission noise

We have an LL Bean edition Outback Wagon with an automatic transmission, about 65K miles, that is starting to have some problems. First we had the left-front wheel bearings replaced (thumping noise when turning to the right). Now it seems that the transmission is making a high-pitch whining noise. Our mechanic recommends to have the transmission taken out and inspected, which is obviously not a cheap job. Did anyone on this group have a similar experience? I guess we're out of luck with regards to a warranty claim on this?

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Thanks, Koen

Reply to
Koen

Checked the fluid yet?

Reply to
Funkadyleik Spynwhanker

We had our mechanic look at it. I assume that's the first thing he checked...I'm not much of a mechanic myself, is there an easy way to check myself?

Thanks! Koen

Reply to
Koen

We had our mechanic look at it. I assume that's the first thing he checked...I'm not much of a mechanic myself, is there an easy way to check myself?

Thanks! Koen

Reply to
Koen

This raises a question: how reliable are these Subarus? I have a 2001 Forester...it's covered by 7y/100K miles extended warranty from Subaru. The warranty was pretty expensive: almost $1500...the thing is, I never used it so far...the car has slightly less than 60K miles now. My next car will probably also be Subaru...but I can't decide if it makes sense to buy extended warranty for it.

Boris

Reply to
Boris

Well, the verdict is in, we need a new transmission. This is pretty bad at 66k miles. At 64k miles we had to replace some wheel bearings @$350 which would have been covered if it had happened 4k miles earlier...now we're looking at $2500 after a generous(?) $1500 rebate from Subaru. I'm holding my breath to see what's next. Generally we love the car, but will our next one be a Subaru??.... not so sure at this point. If at all, definitely with extended warranty!

Reply to
Koen

Boris,

Considering how expensive it is to fix some of this stuff after the warranty expires (i.e. $2500 for a transmission, $4000 without the sympathy/scream-like-hell rebate from Subaru), can you afford to NOT spend the extra $1500 up front?

Reply to
mkirsch1

Note that at $2500 they are not loosing a penny on this. They just decided to give us a fair price rather than the inflated one. We could have had this done at the local mechanic at the same price, but the dealer is faster.

We still plan to write Subaru about this. We switched from Audi to Subaru for reliability reas> Boris,

Reply to
Koen