2001 Outback fuse to cig lighter blows

One day, recently, I noticed that the cigarette lighter doesn't work, so now I can't charge my cell phone! Yea Yea, I know.. but I have kids and grandkids! I also notice that my heated seats don't heat, my heated mirrors don't defrost, my electrical mirrors don't adjust, my handy-dandy rear-view mirror doesn't adjust darker when cars approach from the rear, and the compass doesn't work! Thank goodness I have a decent sense of direction!

Sooooooooooo... I removed the coin drawer, which the former owner didn't even know existed, found the culprit - a 20amp fuse, and replaced it. Still nothing works :( I figured, the dork that I am, I had installed an old, blown fuse! So I bought a cardboard and plastic blister pack of a whopping TWO fuses.. wow.. what do they think, I'd steal it?? Anyway, I put a brand-spanking new fuse in.. ya know, the kind that light up as soon as it blows? Who'd've thunk that one up?? Well, you guessed it! I immediately owned a night light for my fuse box!!! Such a deal!! Jealous??

Anyway, my son, with his expertise, said to disconnect the battery before inserting my one, good fuse. He informed me, like I didn't know this already but just forgot, that my fuse can blow just inserting it.

Tonight, I came home from work and since it was still light enough to get under the hood, we disconnected...ok ok, HE disconntected the battery, and I inserted the 'FuseThatImmediatelyBecameAnotherNightlight'.

Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a common cause? I believe it to be the cigarette lighter, itself, but I can't figure out how to get the dang thing out! There are no repair manuals for this 2001 Outback.. I guess they're not supposed to break! The light on the lighter works, just not the lighter itself, and I had previously found a piece of something inside it when I tried to insert my cell phone charger. That's the beginning of the story, actually!

So, how do I remove the lighter??

Thanks!

Reply to
whinylilbitch

dig around these threads at usmb;

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

Recently underwent the same kind of fun: the end of the cell phone charger had become unscrewed, came off when I inserted it in the lighter socket and got stuck, shorting and blowing the fuse. Are you sure you got everything out of the socket?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Ny money is on the lighter. There is a nut on the backside that has to be removed to get it out. Problem is getting to that nut. Another option is if you can get to the rear of the lighter is to just unplug that puppy.

Reply to
johninKY