2001 Outback Wagon Headlight replacement

Hello all,

I just noticed on a trip to Michigan this past week that I have a right front low-beam headlight bulb burnt out. I was going to replace this bulb while in MI as I thought I could unscrew the 1 screw and 2 bolts that hold the headlight unit in. I was moderately surprised to notice that it felt like one other screw/bolt was holding the unit to the car chasis and I looked and looked but was unable to find it. I'm assuming I'd have to lay under and look up under the front bumper/wheel area to loosen a screw or bolt?

All I need to do is to remove the plastic cover to the headlamp unit to replace the bulb. Does anyone have instructions for this?

Bradley

Reply to
Bradley Walker

No.

Read the manual.

Open the hood. The gray plastic cover rotates 30 degrees (it takes a strong grip if you have not moved it in a while) and then comes out.

Then you can pull out both bulbs from the back for replacement.

No wires or screws involved.

Reply to
Funkadyleik Spynwhanker

Thanks, I found out and was able to get the low beam bulb replaced. My next question, what is the 'real' difference in bulbs that Advanced AutoParts has? I purchased the $7.00 standard Sylvania low beam bulb, but Advanced offers many other high beam bulbs in things like 'cool blue', etc. I'm just curious if it actually increases brightness or length of lighted area when driving.

Brad

Reply to
Bradley Walker

The name says it all ... "cool blue" is "cool" to some people. The blue coating is a subtractive color filter. It cannot increase the light output. Blue tinted incandescent lamps have become popular because some people want their cars to look like they have expensive metal halide headlamps.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Thanks, I sort of thought that might have been the case, but wasn't sure. Other bulbs on various websites offer bulbs labled "Silverstart Halogen High Performance" or may just say "High Performance" type of bulbs. These tend to cost around $20 per bulb while the standard Osram/Sylvania is costing only $8 per bulb. Again do these offer any brightness to lighting or increased light output? Obviously their labled as 12 / 55W so I'm assuming the 'high performance' is just a marketing ploy??

Reply to
Bradley Walker

Xtravisions and silverstars etc. may offer increased luminance - at the cost of reduced longevity or stress/heat on you car's wires and sockets.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Check out

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

If the power is the same, the only way they can provide higher luminance is to be designed for shorter life.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Yes, a *lot* shorter life. Check out the chart on

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Come join Dan and me over in sci.engr.lighting :-)

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

My apologies - I didn't know you were a lighting guru also (no sarcasm intended). What I know about lighting is that I should see what the lighting experts say :-)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

You should also check the legality of the blue bulbs, as in some localities like mine, they are illegal. I use normal bulbs.

Reply to
whinylilbitch