2001 Subaru Outback - Maryland State Inspection

In the process of registering a car in Maryland and the state inspection came back less than stellar. In particular, there are 2 questions I was hoping the forum might have some thoughts on....

First- I was told that brakes (that had the pads replaced 12000K miles ago, as in last year) needed new rotors... that the brake PADS were fine, but the rotors were warped....that make sense to anyone? I don't know enough to judge....

Second--- power steering is leaking at the seals, and told that I need a new rack and pinion, but the mechanic (an indy shop) has had "bad experiences" with reconditioned ones, and so is really pushing for a new one from Subaru (for $800 + labor...? eek!) ....seems a little excessive going OEM on a 7 year old car, but was hoping someone had some insight to share on price and which way to go.

Thanks crew!

Reply to
Mike

When brake pads are installed, it is customary to turn down the rotors. That means that metal is removed to make the pad surface flat. If you go to a good mechanic, they will turn them down a little at a time to preserve as much life in the rotors as possible. Some places think it is more profitable to turn them down to the thinnest measurement as possible because that takes less time. When the rotors become thin, then heating them through hard braking can cause them to warp. If they are warped enough, you will feel a shimmy on light braking at higher speeds. Rotors aren't usually that expensive to buy new from parts stores. For your car, they are $52 each for the front rotors at Checkers. (partsamerica.com)

For your rack and pinion at Checkers, it is $303 for a lifetime guarantee. I just installed front CV half shafts on my Legacy using the same parts supply company (Cardone) as you would get for your rack and pinion at Checkers. I thought the quality of the parts from Cardone was good.

Reply to
Weaponer

It happens. Improper wheel torque helps it happen. Rotors are something you can replace yourself, but on Subies they're more pricey than on many cars.

No experience there. That sucks though.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Maryland is rough. I thought NJ was bad but they dont check steering racks and such. You could wipe area clean before inspectionand they'd never know about steering

Reply to
bigjim